Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Oculus QUEST compatible with VRED Professional ?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2678 Views, 4 Replies

Is Oculus QUEST compatible with VRED Professional ?

Hi,

I'm wishing to buy a VR Headset to help me in visualisation and experience with VRED professional 2020 or 2021.  Has anyone already tried Oculus Quest with VRED and if so, how well does it work.  If not, what are other good suggestions?  My system configuration is :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3950x

GPU : Deciding still but a GTX1080ti or a RTX 2080TI

Ram : 32 GB 3200 mhz

Help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Nirmit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
michael_nikelsky
in reply to: Anonymous

Oculus Quest is a standalone headset that works without a PC so it can not run VRED. I am not sure if it is theoretically possible with the oculus link cable but if it works it will reduce the image quality since the data gets compressed.

So I would rather recommend a normal oculus rift s, htc vive or something like that.

For the GPU you should definetely go with the 2080. First of all if you want to use GPU raytracing it is about 4 to 5 times faster than the 1080 and for OpenGL it also adds new features like variable rate shading that can give you more performance in VR.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: michael_nikelsky

Thanks @michael_nikelsky 

Okay!  But, would you know why the data would get compressed?  From some reviews that I have seen, they say that, while using PC link in Oculus Quest, it switches to using the computer instead of the stand-alone system.

Thanks for the GPU suggestion.  I think I'll stretch my budget to go for a 2080TI.  

Best regards,

Nirmit

Message 4 of 5
michael_nikelsky
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I know the link-cable is just an USB  cable and not something like displayport or such. Therefore the datarate it can transfer is much lower than what is possible with HDMI 2.0 or Displayport.

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: michael_nikelsky

Thanks @michael_nikelsky That was helpful to understand.

So, I guess within a budget Oculus Rift S seems to be the best option out there currently.

Regards,

Nirmit SONI

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report