Did you mean: 

Updated 2DGEAR.LSP

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
iSKUNK!
2630 Views, 0 Replies

Updated 2DGEAR.LSP

Hello everyone,

I've used the classic 2DGEAR.LSP AutoLisp program numerous times over the years, and have made some improvements to it for my own needs that I think will be useful to others. They are as follows:

• Added generation of internal gears, as well as external gears that only mesh with an internal gear
  • Fleshed out the Help documentation, including descriptions of each parameter
  • Enabled the "Precision" option by default, because memory is cheap nowadays
  • Polished up the GUI a bit (made some mnemonic keys more sensible, tweaked tab-stop behavior)
  • Fixed typoes
  • Changed the commented-out Japanese text into octal escapes to make the file 7-bit clean

Generation of internal gears (i.e. a gear whose teeth point inward instead of outward) is the main new feature; I was needing this for a personal project and there didn't appear to be any good options outside of expensive engineering applications. It turns out that the profile of an internal gear is really just a variation on the profile of a regular external gear, so some tweaks to the addendum/dedendum are all that were needed for 2DGEAR to gain this ability.

An external gear that only meshes with an internal gear is a special case that I also added. This one can have a smaller dedendum, meaning the teeth are not as deep/long, and are thus stronger---which is nice if your application involves a lot of torque.

And the elaborated documentation will hopefully help those who wonder why a simple gear-generator program has so many options!

Comments and feedback will be appreciated. This work could certainly use a once-over from a gear guru, if any are reading this forum...

--
Daniel Richard G.
(strcat "<skunk" "@" "iskunk" ".org>")
Tags (2)
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost