Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linetype issue

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mehsan
450 Views, 2 Replies

Linetype issue

I am trying to make a line type for the pattern attached in the dwg and also pasting the code, Please can you check where i am making a mistake.

I am getting a error on the last line.

thanks

" There must be from 2 to 12 dash/dot specifications.

;; Line with Five Studs with Five Again
*Five and Five,Five Stud Space
A,0,-.1,[CATEYE,CATEYE,s=1,r=180],-.5,[HATCH,HATCH,y=-.5,s=1,r=180],
-10,[STUD,I:\CAD Customized Area\Linetypes\stud,s=1,r=180],
-1.6,[STUD,I:\CAD Customized Area\Linetypes\stud,s=1,r=180],
-10,[STUD,I:\CAD Customized Area\Linetypes\stud,s=1,r=180],
-1.6,[STUD,I:\CAD Customized Area\Linetypes\stud,s=1,r=180],-1.6,[STUD,I:\CAD Customized Area\Linetypes\stud,s=1,r=180],-10

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dbroad
in reply to: mehsan

You have 27 dashlength specifications (Max allowable is 12).  I would suggest creating a dynamic block instead of using a linetype.  Either that or using path arrays.

Linetypes also don't work if the last line in the file is not a blank line.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 3 of 3
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: mehsan

You can have more than 12 elements, including Shape inclusions, which [oddly, but fortunately] don't count against the dash/gap limit of 12.  [I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure, so I just confirmed it with a successful test of a temporary one with 9 dash/gap specifications and 7 Shapes, for 16 total elements.]

But you're still over, with 14 dash/gap specifications.  Not knowing what those first two Shapes are like, I don't know whether it would be viable for you to have only one set of five studs in the cycle, which would get you under the limit and have the added advantage that you would get less of the typical continuous end portions with a shorter overall cycle length.

Or, if you don't ever use this on curves, you could combine several studs [may as well be all 5] into one Shape definition, which I think would get you down to 6 dash/gap specifications and 4 Shapes.

And I would add my affirmation that [missing this is a common cause of non-functioning linetypes] you need to end a linetype file with an empty line, not with the last line of linetype-definition code, i.e. if you hit Ctrl+End in Notepad, the cursor should end up below the last line of code, not at the right end of it.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost