Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Client Working Folder Override (Per-User)

Vault Client Working Folder Override (Per-User)

Hi there,

As many of you know, we can allow clients to select their own 'Client Working Folder' or we can 'Enforce a consistent working folder for all clients'. As per the existing options in the image below (Working Folder Options.JPG)

Working Folder Options.JPG

I think it would be a good for administrators to be able to allow specific users to select their own 'Client Working Folder' but not all users.

Maybe a setting from the user profile - something like the below image. (Working Folder Override.png)

Workign Folder Ovveride.png

So... Ticking the Working Folder Override box would allow those individual users to set their own 'Client Working Folder', while all other users could still have an Enforced Client Working Folder.

If this sounds like a good idea, then this could extend to the .ipj file too.

5 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Thank you for posting the Idea. Why would some users get the ability to set their working folders and others would not? What problem are you trying to solve with this request?

Thanks.

RobJordan
Contributor

Hi Irvin,

When a drive is enforced (i.e. C:\VaultWF), it is great as users do not have to set their own Working Folders. It just works 🙂

However, some users have small hard drives and would like to change the working folder to a different drive (i.e. D:\VaultWF) 

When it comes to companies with 30+ users, turning off the enforced working folder location, has been known to confuse users that hot-desk or get their profile rebuilt, and they get themselves in a mess when checking data in and out.

Its a shame to have to turn off the enforcement just to satisfy one user. The existing users could all be pointed to the default working folder location (%documents%) if the setting gets turned off. If they don't notice the change in location they could start saving data to the old suspected location and try checking it in. 

Yes, an email could go around explaining how users set the working folder location, but no one reads emails 😞

Not sure how hard it would be for Autodesk to implement my suggestion - but it would save a lot of work for Vault administrators if this was a thing.

Hope this helps clarify the problems being faced.

smilinger
Advisor

In case of small hard drives, you can use the following command to redirect the working folder to another drive.

mkdir D:\VaultWF
mklink /J C:\VaultWF D:\VaultWF
RobJordan
Contributor

Thanks Smilinger, I have used this before, its great! Smiley Very Happy

I think it would still be nice for Vault Administrators to control this though.

Lennart_Losjo
Advocate

Are small hard drives a matter these days?

Is not what all it departements and administrators thrive for, to have a standard setup for all users? No ”bastards” that are ”outside”?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report