Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault add-in for Inventor : filter by "out-of-date"

Vault add-in for Inventor : filter by "out-of-date"

When working on assemblies, we get  an error message "please use Get Revision to download the latest information before performing this operation" if there is any "out-of-date" component in the assembly. Finding all out-of-date components in a large assembly can be very time consuming, especially if there are many levels.

Being able to filter by this criteria would be a big time saver for us.

Alternatively, could the "Refresh File" command (when applied to the top level assembly) refresh all out-of-date components of the assembly?

thanks,

Antoine

10 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not just do a 'get' of your current assembly?

antoine.f
Participant
Hi,

If we do "get latest" before modifying the assembly then I guess it works (and it would answer my question)

But if someone updates a sub-component while I am modifying the top level assembly, then I can't "get latest", unless I am prepared to lose my changes

Thanks,

Antoine

Anonymous
Not applicable

@antoine.f wrote:

But if someone updates a sub-component while I am modifying the top level assembly, then I can't "get latest", unless I am prepared to lose my changes

If you have checked out the top assy and some else checked out the sub assy, the sub assy can be changed and updated by thay second person without any issues. As soon as the sub assy is checked in again (we normally use check in- keep check out) the top assy can be refreshed with a get action. This will update the sub assy on your local disk (and you will see the result in your top assy) and this will not overwrite anything you did in the top assy yourself.

antoine.f
Participant

I wasn't completely sure about what you were suggesting exactly so I did the following:

- with ownership of the top assy, do a "get revision" in the Inventor add-in : often the "get revision" entry is greyed out so we can't use it all the time

- with ownership of the top assy, do "get" from the Vault client. As you say my local files are updated, but not the ones loaded in memory. To see updates in my open assembly I need to save, close then re-open it. It works, but I consider this a workaround, and on large assemblies is time consuming.

Have I understood correctly your suggestion or is it not quite that?

Regards,

Antoine

Anonymous
Not applicable

With ownership you mean you checked it out I presume.

You don't need to open and close the files in Inventor one by one.

In inventor Vault browser, all docs which are out of date are marked with two red arrows. Right click on them and use 'refresh'  command. This will update the files directly.

Richard-D-Henderson
Contributor

You need to use the Inventor Vault add-in to refresh open files so you need to find the out of date files in the tree of the browser. The thing is it is hard to find these out of date files as there is NO FILTER for it and they are quite often buried deep in the assembly structure of a large assembly. Unless you know what sub assembly has been updated you will need to do an "Expand All" to find them and in an assembly with a (minimum level of detail) total item count of 30 or 40 thousand parts and an individual count of 4 thousand plus parts, this can be quite onerous. When you have out of date parts you get the popup multiple times when you want to place a constraint or make some other change this creates a lot of frustration for users. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys, now I understand your issue. I had a look in Inventor 2019 and indeed, no way to filter, sort or search for these files in the Vault browser.

Beside the filter option it would be good to make it clear when  filter is active. At this moment you cannot see if a filter is in use or not without pressing the filter button first. Make the filter button different when it is in use.

limin.chung
Autodesk

Hi, 

Some possible solutions for this idea are currently under discussion on the NDA based Vault Feedback/Beta forums. If you would like to contribute and validate then please apply for access using this link:

Thanks,

Limin

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This is implemented in Vault 2021. For more info on Vault 2021 What's new please refer this page - What's New in Vault 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report