Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Click --> iProperties

Right Click --> iProperties

I would like to right click on any Inventor file in the Vault and be able to click on and access the iProperties for that .ipt, .iam, or .idw.

I understand that generally the fields displayed are "Mapped" to the iProperties, but not every iProperty is always mapped. That means I have to go in and map an iProperty and assuming I do map it, I still may not want to always display the field in every search I make.

For example, please watch the screencast.

In the screencast, you'll see that I want find the "WEB link" of an SKF bearing. That property is not mapped to the Vault fields, so I have to access the iProperties to find out the link. If I right click on the bearing in the Vault, I'd expect an option to be "iProperties" for any Inventor parts. So then what I have to do is go to the working folder and find the iProperties there or go into Inventor and access them that way. Neither way saves me any clicks to find the information I'm looking for in a fast and easy way.

I use Vault Basic 2017. Thanks!

7 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@alexmende,

Thank you for posting your idea.  Mapping the properties to Vault UDPs is the proper way to gain access to these iProperties.  You can map properties and turn off the Search capability of the property so it doesn't appear in the search list.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

alexmende
Collaborator

@ihayesjr Thanks for reviewing this idea. Something else to consider when reviewing this idea is that none of the fields can be copied and pasted. If I did have my "WEB Link" property mapped and visible in the Search fields, aside from typing the out the link, the only way to copy and paste that link into a web browser is by accessing the iProperties window.

Thanks again,

Alex

SER4
Collaborator

I would like to be able to right click a file in Vault and open up the iProperties WINDOW.

Currently, I can Open File Location Go to Working Folder, then in Windows Explorer, right-click the file and click iProperties.

Can we please add that to the Vault right-click context menu.  [We are currently on Workgroup 2022--yes it's ending...].

(Yes I know the Vault displays certain selected iProperties in the columns, but sometimes I'm looking for something else/rare).  For me, the iProperties window (and tabs layout etc.) is very familiar because I use it in Inventor on every file to edit the fields.

Tags (3)
SER4
Collaborator

My bad, I could not find the appropriate existing idea, which is here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/right-click-gt-iproperties/idi-p/7030063

SER4
Collaborator

Agree 100%!  We're on Workgroup 2022, and still wishing for this.

Even if it was read-only would be better than nothing (but I would assume the "read-only-ness" would be related to the actual local file's read-only status).

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report