Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Publishing - Using Vault UDP to create the PDF File Name

PDF Publishing - Using Vault UDP to create the PDF File Name

Would be very nice if we can have the option to leverage the UDP's assigned to the .idw/.dwg file to create custom file names...   i.e  <File Name>_<Revision> - <Description>

We have been using Cool Orange Job Processor upto now to create our PDF files and we can achieve this through a custom script however it would be great if this methodology can be implement directly into vault.   

6 Comments
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Hi All,

I have a question here. Let us say we add Revision to File name -"FileName_A.PDF"and when the file goes to Revision B, the PDF will be "FileName_B.PDF". At this stage there will be 2 PDFs in the main pane FileName_A.PDF and FileName_B.PDF. But only FileName_B.PDF is attached to Revision B of the Drawing File. Like the following Image.

RevC.png

Q: Is this you want?

If you go to Revision A of the drawing and check the Uses Tab, you will see that Revision A of PDF. Like the following image.

Is this OK?

RevA.png

Here is the Reason for this. With every Revision change the name of the PDF is changed. So a new file is created every time. That is the reason for individual PDF files.

Please let us know your feedback here. if you do not want this way and please let us know how do you want to see it.

NOTE: The naming of the PDF using the properties will be still configured via the config file mentioned in this blog post. 

Thanks.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Senthil,

For us, adding the revision to the filename during PDF creation is a way to address an issue we have while sharing PDFs with outsiders - not necessarily the best way. The issue is when we send out PDFs, we have vault create a transmittal to send with them, but it is still difficult to know what revision the PDFs while looking at them in explorer.

The way for this problem to be fixed (the right way :)) would be to add some sort of mechanism to the Pack'n'go toolset, that can add properties to the filenames as it gathers them up.

This would be a better solution for us.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Hello Cory,

Thanks for your reply. Your wish is completely a new one :). We will see whether that is possible for not.

In the meantime let me see if anyone else has any other suggestion for the above solution for the PDF.

Thanks again.

Senthill.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought it might be. 🙂 I will make a new idea to gauge interest.
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented with Vault 2018.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report