Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening many files at once

Opening many files at once

In file Explorer, or in a search result, I'd like to have the ability to open more than one file at a time. 

At least, let me create multiple shortcuts, to open it faster from Inventor.
2018-04-10_16-05-01.png

29 Comments
MattH_Work
Collaborator

I can select and open multiple files from within the Vault Inventor addin, why not from within the Vault client

Tags (2)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Vault product team
Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionnaly, it could be nice to add the ability to create shortcuts on multiple items at once.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please add in the function to open, check out multiple files from Vault client.

The Shift select or control select option allow you to highlight multiple files but negates the open and check out options.

Understand some of the potential restriction in performing this, and that ways around this exist, however cannot help but feel a small modification would be beneficial, considering there are cases where this has been asked for since 2013.

There's likely a 3RD part add-in feature, and I could always request Greatec to add this into there power pack instead, but why not just incorporate the feature as part of the software.

Tags (6)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can you tell me how opening multiple individual files at the same time in the Vault client would be beneficial? In Inventor, if you select Open from Vault, you can multi-select files and open them.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Anonymous
Not applicable

Surprising comment, I am aware of a user being able to Multi select files from Vault via inventor, my suggestions is simply to allow the same functionality directly in Vault.

The outlined method works fine when working with IPT etc, however Vault stores more than Inventor files, so lets say you wish to compare revisions of Parts lists, do you get all the folder out so you can open and compare PDF or excel document revisions?

Would it not be easier to simply locate the files, multiselect what you want, and do a get or open those files?

To me the outlined method is work around for what should be a standard feature within Vault, clearly the capability is there otherwise you wouldn't be able to do it through inventor, as such I could simply put up a reverse ask, why wouldn't you want the same functionality in Vault directly, why not offer that flexibility or option depending on how your customer prefer to work document control, via inventor, or via Vault for locating and opening files?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you prefer I can make this suggestion to 3rd parties for there power packs instead, just seems a simple fix to myself that I cannot understand why it not available when every other program offer this functionality.

Secondly I cannot understand why the objection, is this not a forum for people to value each others ideas, so if this isn't something the rest of Autodesk customer want, then it wont be incorporated. why knock it down now, let other users decide if it worth including.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Carl,

I am not objecting to your idea. I am just asking how it would benefit the user if we implement the idea requested. This gives us a better understanding of how beneficial the requests are to most users.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies, my experience with responses which are accompanied by a work around, shouldn't presume.

This particular issue just seem half the functionality of the above is missing for no apparent reason, when it does work via other means.

So in direct answer, simply make the exchange between software more fluid, and allow the user the option of how to approach rather than lock them to one work around route, inventor is becoming more and more rigid in how it can be used, where other software's are driving to become more flexible so it not longer matter how you use it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant open multiple files from Vault.

It would be nice to not click 9 times to open 9 files.

image.png

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Need to gather feedback, additional comments or votes from other customers on this request.

SER4
Collaborator

(FYI, here is an older duplicate idea with more votes):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/opening-many-files-at-once/idi-p/7921396

matthias.pass
Explorer

Hello together,

for the workflow it would be very convenient, if we could select and open multiple drawings / parts at once. 
The subsequent dialog box for checking out parts, would apply to all selected ones.
It could save us a lot of time.

Would be very happy, if you could add this feature, in the near future.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Tags (3)
ihayesjr
Community Manager

@matthias.pass 

Thank you for posting the idea. This capability is already in the Open from Vault dialog inside of Inventor. Why not perform this workflow there?

matthias.pass
Explorer

Thanks for your advice!

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Autodesk, please add this feature. Because lot of users need to search or select a lot of files to open at the same time. This request is voted by a lot of people since several years.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report