Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get all working folders option

Get all working folders option

Would love to see a "Get All Working Folders" option.  I know you can have the working folder created using "Go to Working Folder" by right-clicking on the desired folder, but this is cumbersome if you have as many folders as we do in our projects.

I request this becasue our working folders are on our local drives rather than a server.  I don't want the users trying to manually create the folders when they are creating new files as something is always typed in incorrectly.  If they could simply right-click and Get all Working folders, problem solved! 🙂

41 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why would you need 'all' of the working folders?  The same amount of steps will retrieve just the one folder the user needs.

Rob.O
Collaborator

We use multiple folders (as I am sure most companies do), not just one. If the user needs several of the empty folders on his/her local drive they must use the "Go to Working Folder" command on each folder they wish to retrieve.

The "Get" command on the root folder of the project is an alternative, but Vault will ONLY download the folders containing at least one file upon a "Get" from the project root folder.  It will not download the empty folders.  Our standard project folders are created in Vault prior to the start of the project, so the folders are empty until design work begins.

Rob.O
Collaborator

The ideal solution would be to change Vault's behaviour to download all folders when a Get is done on the root folder regardless of whether the folder contains any files.

john.stewart
Autodesk

I agree this is desired functionality to make sure users create the new documents in the Vault Folder structure locally.

Thankfully there is a free app by PRISMA TECH on the apps exchange that will do this exact request.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/VLTC/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3aaddlocalcopy...

Great for Project Based Document Management

John

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

ryan
Collaborator

Our free utility, Create Local Structure, can accomplish your needs; https://www.solidcad.ca/vault-toolkit/createlocalstructure/

torben.westhoefer
Contributor

With the new Fusion Lifecycle connectivity we get a folder template for every project created by the jobserver. It would be nice if we can get all folders to our working space with one click.

image.png

tapani.kuikka
Advocate

Hello!

Is this possible in Vault today?, i tried to get a Vault folder structure with all its subfolders, but found no way to do this, except to get each folder and subfolder separately by "go to working folder"-command? 

I am using Vault Pro 2019 Build 24.1.42.0

Tried also to copy folder structure with "copy design"-command, but it seems like it has the same limitation, ie. empty folders are not copied...

Thanks!

JamesLodge01
Advocate

I think it would be great to have a "get" command that will download the full folder structure ONLY with no design files. I know that you can "go to working folder" but being able to perform a "get" of the full folder structure would be a great little command.

Tags (1)
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for posting the idea. Can you tell me why this is needed? What problem are you trying to solve with this idea?

JamesLodge01
Advocate

I have a number of customers who, for example, at the end of a week delete their local workspace as a way to help clean design files that were used throughout the design, but didn't make it into the completed design upon check-in. Once this is done the only way to reproduce the folder structure is to "go to working folder" or "get". I have been asked a few times if there is a way to reproduce the folder structure in full without downloading any design files or having to select multiple "go to working folder" context menu commands which in turn opens multiple new windows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do this in the command prompt:

DEL /S /Q *.IPT

which will delete all parts in the current folder and below. Then you have a clean folder structure again.

JamesLodge01
Advocate

Be nice having a button though in the client as not all designers are that tech savvy 
olegd.prod
Autodesk
"at the end of a week delete their local workspace as a way to help clean design files that were used throughout the design, but didn't make it into the completed design upon check-in"

So it seems that they are really looking for "Workspace sync"?
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/Help/EN...
JamesLodge01
Advocate

Yeah workspace sync is great, however I wasn't aware that you could perform a sync of only folder structures. I know you can delete the empty folders in the sync command, but wasn't aware you could create them? without syncing separate or all design data at the same time. Also, sync is only available with Workgroup and Pro and not in Basic should the user only utilise the free version.

olegd.prod
Autodesk
Ok, then I have to come back to Irvin’s question: if “remove unused files” isn’t what they want, why do they want to have just the empty folder structure, with no files whatsoever?

Should the user utilize the free version, they’d have to get the folders, as they say, “by hand” 😊
TYoung_Combi
Advocate

I agree with James; it would be a valuable tool to have a 'Folder Structure Sync' within Vault that would set up the current Vault folder structure on our local drives.

If I have a new user being set up, it would be very beneficial to be able to click one button and have the folder structure mimicked to the local drive. The need for this is apparently greater than Autodesk seems to realize. If we have an issue that requires a computer to be reformatted, this would be a useful tool. If we have interns, new users (as already stated), if a user deletes his/her (or whichever pronoun they identify with) local folder in an attempt to fix an issue, etc., this would be a useful tool.

I understand that the 'Workspace Sync' is there, but there are a myriad of reasons why it may not be the solution that we are looking for. In a perfect environment where everything and everyone does exactly as is supposed to, maybe. But we all know that there are few perfect environments.

olegd.prod
Autodesk
Hi @TYoung_Combi.

Thanks for sharing your take on this.

I am still struggling a bit with the concept of the empty folder structure here. Not questioning the need, just trying to understand the problem you are trying to solve.

My thinking: folder structure exists to hold files. When the user gets the file(s) they need (new machine/accidental delete/etc, etc), supporting folder structure will be created automatically. Given this like of thinking, I am unclear about the purpose of creating an empty folder structure, without files at all.
Your thinking? What am I missing??
TYoung_Combi
Advocate

The best example I can give you is this:

Where I work, we store a completed machine in a folder named "Machine". The "machine" consists of numerous sub-assemblies. If a user has a fresh install with no Vault structure that has been mimicked to their local, it doesn't have that "Machine" folder. Yes; when they perform a 'get' on all of the sub-assemblies, those sub-assemblies' folders are created, but no the "Machine" folder. So when the new user goes to save the new Machine file, they would have to manually create the folder within their local folder and hopefully they didn't misspell "Machine".

The same problem exists due to the way our pneumatic schematics are saved. We save our pneumatic schematics in a certain way that is a bit convoluted, but that is how it's done here and that is the way we need to be able to save. The folder tree for pneumatic schematics can branch out 3 or 4 times, depending on certain qualifications. It can be a real pain in the backside to have to type in that folder structure manually.

I hope this helps.

olegd.prod
Autodesk
Got it: the "Machine" folder isn't part of the regular work folder structure. Thanks for the details

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report