Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Download in Thin Client

File Download in Thin Client

We have some great tools to show design information to the people at the shop floor. Unfortunately, they do not always fit together. I am speaking about the Thin Client and Inventor Read Only.

In some cases DWF files are not very practical. It would be easier to look directly at the CAD data. Now, if I want to do this with the Thin Client, it downloads the files and tries to open them. This works fine with single parts. Not with assemblies and drawings though, since the used parts do not come along.

The thick (Office) client would probably do it. However, it means that I have to install yet another piece of software on the shop floor machines. And even worse, there are no network licenses availably anymore. The whole administration becomes a nightmare if I have only occasional users.

Please provide a way to download associated files in the Thin Client! (Or at least keep network licenses for the Office Client!)

7 Comments
m.thier
Observer

👍

kkeene
Explorer

In the Vault 2022 Thin Client, we'd like the ability to select an Assembly or Drawing, and be able to download it and all of it's related (children) files.  

Tags (2)
mark.cloyed
Collaborator

I have also had a client requesting that functionality in the thin client.  They have some of their staff who only need read-only access to designs and need to download a completed assembly or drawing to review and approve.   

Thank you,

Mark Cloyed

IMAGINiT Technologies

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@kkeene 

Why are your Thin Client users downloading the parent files? What are they doing with the parent files? What are they using to open the parent files?

@mark.cloyed 

Why does the client need to review and approve the assembly or drawing with the parent files? Can't they do the review with the visualization file?

kkeene
Explorer

In my case, the client wants the toolroom employees to be able to download the files for machining purposes.  Much easier to grab them together instead of one at a time.  They want to find the assembly, then download all the parts that need to be manufactured.  Their toolroom doesn't need to have the Full Client installed and pay for a license when all they need to do is GET files.  

clutsa
Collaborator

@ihayesjr 

I'm running into the same issue. I have a final assembly (with hundreds of sub components) I want the production floor to view in Inventor Read Only. I need a way for them to download that assembly and all subcomponents easily. They never need to upload anything so I'm never going to convince my employer to pay for full Vault access or Vault Office for hundreds of shop computers.

I need to use InvRO because the measure command is infinitely better then the viewer tool and all the textures work in InvRO. 

RajSchmidt
Advisor

@ihayesjr 

There is another thing: If you are using Model States you cannot trust the DWFx files. See https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-states-in-dwf-files/idi-p/11333118

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report