Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistend Handling of Old Versions

Consistend Handling of Old Versions

In my experience the handling of versions and revisions belongs to the hardest things to teach to Vault users. Even more so if there are inconsistencies in the results between a Get, Open, Double Click, and opening via Inventor.

Sometimes you get the actual versions you called, sometimes you get some older version first but the Vault overwrites them with the newest stuff without asking.

This becomes especially annoying if you get different results on opening from the main window as compared to the History tab.

This behaviour should be much clearer and easier to handle. It would be a nice thing if Vault would on “Open” simply check if all required files are locally available, regardless of their version. If anything is missing, it should get the newest version. If the file is still there, it will be used.

That way I would have the following options:

1. my local workspace is empty. I want to work with the newest versions available. So I use “Open” or double click and the newest versions are opened in Inventor.
  2. I want to look at some older version. So I do a “Get” on this specific version. An “Open” on the same file simply opens it in Inventor and I get exactly what I have downloaded before.
  3. there is some old stuff lying around in my workspace. When opening form Vault it will happen that I get these outdated components in my assembly. However, the Vault Browser will show me the outdated parts. And I am responsible myself for not cleaning up my workspace.

Sorry for this long post but it’s a complicated topic…

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report