Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Vault project explorer extension

Autodesk Vault project explorer extension

Hello Vault team,

regarding Autodesk Vault Professional and the usage of the project explorer in Vault Client I've 2 possible extension proposals

Proposal 1:

A customer wants to fade over the number (DisplayName) of folders with the title of the folder. We do not want to name the folders with the title because of the lenght of the value and special characters in the value of the title. Is there a possibility to get administrative access to adjust the Display Name in the project explorer?

Picture for illustration:

see attached picture "project_explorer_illustration"

project_explorer_illustration.png

Proposal 2:

Is there a possibility to get a search field in the project explorer to filter the folder structure of Vault?

see attached picture "searach_pane!

Thanks and best regards!

Dominik

7 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

@dominik.gleinser 

Thank you for posting the idea.

For #2, you can filter the list of folders by setting a filter in the main grid.

ihayesjr_0-1614879455406.png

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

Helleo Irvin,

thanks for reply!

I know the possibility in the main grid and we have already trained our customer on all features for filtering but the search pane in the project explorer would be a nice additional feature (wish of customer). In the used an where used tap the "search pane" is also a very good feature for CAD users to filter the assembly structures. 

#1 is more important for us  - I agree! But maybe there is a possibility for a new release version 🙂

Thanks!

best regards!

Dominik

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@dominik.gleinser 

Sorry but I don't follow what you are asking. Are you talking about this?

ihayesjr_0-1615210662444.png

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

yes excactly! I've compared it to that! see attached picture

Thanks!

search_pane_markup.png

ihayesjr
Community Manager

@dominik.gleinser 

So you already have #2 and you are just asking for #1, correct?

dominik.gleinser
Advocate

No, both of them!  The customer's question is, if there is a possibility to implement a search pane in the project folder strucutre like in the used tab - see the attached picture "search_pane.png" in the original post.

Thanks

smilinger
Advisor

I also want this to be implemented, especially Proposal #1.

From an administrative view, using the numbers as folder name enforces consistency, avoiding problems like "the lenght of the value and special characters in the value of the title" as @dominik.gleinser said. However, in my experience, normal users/designers always prefer to use descriptive folder names. This is an eternal and frustrating debate topic between administrators and users.

Having configurable display names for folders will solve such debate once for all. So if I have a folder VLT-000158 with title "Console Piping", I can configure it to show in the project explorer like:

VLT-000158 (Console Piping)

or:

VLT-000158 (Project XXX) (Console Piping) (State: Closed)

This is the same concept as in inventor vault browser:

2021-06-04_12-11-39.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report