Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign item from inside the Inventor BOM

Assign item from inside the Inventor BOM

Now that we can check out files from inside the Inventor BOM, it would be nice to also have the option to assign items from inside the Inventor BOM. This saves a lot of switching back and forth between Vault and Inventor.

Assign item.png

9 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thanks for posting the Idea but if the assembly or the parts in the BOM are not in Vault, they cannot be assigned an Item. What if we gave you the feature of automatically assigning an Item to the files after check-in?

mvdberg
Advocate

Auto-assign could be an option for some customers, but not for us. We use two different numbering schemes. One for the items we buy/manufacture elsewhere (these are the ones I would like to assign from within the BOM) and one for all parts of a weld assembly (these are usually assigned later in Vault).

How I think this could work is if we can get part of the functionality of the Vault browser panel in Inventor into the BOM. We can check-out from the BOM so it is probably not that difficult to check-in from the BOM. The only thing missing is whether the file is present in the Vault. If you make the Vault status also visible in the BOM you should have that covered.

BTW, now that I think about this, having the ability to assign from within the Vault browser panel in Inventor would also be a nice addition. But lets keep that for another time.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Hi all,

I am reviewing this Idea. I would like to understand the intention of this request more.

So could you please let me know what is the workflow that you would like to see here?

- What will you do after assigning the item?

- What is your expectation after items are assigned to the Part/Assembly?

Any other info you want to share on this please do . Thanks.

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

mvdberg
Advocate

Hello,

Important to know is that we use workflow on Items and not on files. The idea is to stop switching between Vault and Inventor. Currently, after I design in Inventor I first have to transfer my design to Vault (check-in). I then have to switch to the vault to create item numbers (assign). I then go back to Inventor to update my design with the item numbers (Update properties). After finishing my design I check-in (again!) and go to Vault to update the items (again!).

All that switching is only to get an item number and a revision for my file. I want to be able to stay in Inventor and ask Vault to give me an item number and revision and update my model. After I am finished I check-in my design and update the item in Vault.

BTW, that was just for model files. For the drawings I have to do the same workflow again. First I create a drawing and add at least one view of my model to create a link between the model and the drawing. I then check-in the drawing. Go to Vault to update the item of the model so that the drawing is attached to the same item. Go back to Inventor to update the drawing for the properties. finish the drawing and check-in. Go back to Vault and update the item.

How I see it is like this: I just want to be able to stay in Inventor and assign inside the BOM. Vault or Inventor should check-in the files in the background if they don't exist in Vault and return an item number (make sure there is an option here to choose the numbering sequence for customers who use multiple numbering schemes). After receiving an item number Vault or Inventor should update the models with the new item numbers and any other data from the item that has to be  updated (in our case the item revision number). As for the drawing files I would only require a button on the Vault ribbon that automatically links the drawing to the same item as the model displayed on the drawing. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please ask.

For information: Below is a diagram from our Vault procedure on assigning and what data is transferred between Inventor and Vault.

Data transfer Vault-Inventor.png

Senthil_Kumar
Autodesk

Hello,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation on the workflow. This is useful to understand the requirement. Thanks once again and I will come back to you if i need any further help.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Please check Autdesk Vault Pro 2021.1 Update. It is implemented in the Show Details Dialog:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2021/ENU/?guid=GUID-D1C37DD8-A455-49DD-9C70-569B878F641A

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report