Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Drag and Drop for new Revisions in Vault

Allow Drag and Drop for new Revisions in Vault

Currently in Vault in order to create a new revision of a PDF or ZIP file, it is a 7 step process.  Users are not very happy with the process that is required to properly use the History/Version tracking for non-CAD files.  It is easier to add a brand new Vault record than to revise an existing record.  We recently migrated to Vault from Autodesk Productstream Professional 2011 and it was VERY easy to add new files to an existing record.  With Vault, it feels like a huge step backwards in ease of use and more complicated steps compared to Productstream.

The previous steps we had to follow to create a new revision in Autodesk Productstream Professional:

1. Make sure file record is in a Work In Progress state.
  2. Drag and Drop new PDF/ZIP file on top of existing record.
  3. Release file.

Very simple, very easy to explain to users, very few questions.

NOW, the steps required for Vault:

1. Change state from Released to Work in Progress.
  2. Right-Click file and "Check Out"
  3. Right-Click file in Vault and select "Go To Working Folder"
  4. Place new PDF/ZIP file into Workspace folder.
  5. Make sure new PDF/ZIP file is named EXACT same as Vault file.
  6. Switch back to Vault and Right-Click and "Check In".
  7. Release File.

The Productstream functionality for adding new revisions was available from 2009!!  In 7 years of software development and killing Productstream, we should have a better process to add revised PDF/ZIP files to the system, not more steps, more complicated, more possibilities that it will be done wrong.

If I am wrong with my steps, please let me know and I will gladly let our users know the improved process.  If I need to provide a screencast or screen shots I can gladly create those.

4 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager

Just so I am clear, you are replacing a zip file named "Sample1.zip", for example, that is Rev 1 with a new file named "Sample2.zip" but it is Rev 2 of the Sampl1.zip file?

khoskins
Contributor

Your understanding is correct.  We want to add the new file as Rev 2 to maintain the Version history.

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

YounesYammouri
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report