Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a Powershell Interface to Copy Design

Add a Powershell Interface to Copy Design

Since Data Standard has made many Vault Admins familiar with Powershell, I would love to use it in design copy workflows, too. Rule sets are not only exhausting to distribute and impossible to enforce, they are limited in what they can do, yet not that easy to set up,

A lot of users confront me with conditional logic when they hear that Copy Design works by "rules". Questions I got were:

- Can I set category (or a property) to THIS when somebody from this group copies it and to THAT when somebody else does it? (or Cat A always goes to Cat B when copied, except when John does it, or when this property is set or really any other condition you could or could not think of)

- Can I set this property to a combination of THIS and THAT for the new copy?

- I track how many variants exist for a given part. Can I update my counter on copy?

- Can I add or remove properties?

Instead of making the UI more complex and still not cover any complexity, why not use scripting? I would rather not see additional user interaction here (people often ask for setting the properties of the copies in advance), that is for the Copy Design dialog to handle, but complex categorization and "resetting" the files and properties to adhere to some sort of company standard would be a perfect use case for Powershell scripting.

In a perfect world this would be controlled server sided somehow.

5 Comments
ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Thank you for posting this idea. Would the Powershell script run in place of the current Rule Set?

Tim_Kreutzer
Advocate

To be frank, I do not know the best way to implement it. In my eyes, it would be best if all copy rules should be server sided / managed centralised somehow. I think there has already been some discussion about it and it goes beyond the scope of this idea.

For the time being and the current shape of Copy Design rule sets: maybe add a new option to the rule set dialog: "add a new script rule" which would then ask for a .ps1-file?

scriptRules.png

Copy Design would then inject some special variables into the script like $vault, $vaultConnection, $currentFile for our scripting convenience, similiar to what Data Standard does.

It would still be all client side and it would be administrator's responsibility that script rules do not clash with configured rules, but it would be a start, in my naive thinking it would be not THAT hard to implement and it could do quite a lot.

ihayesjr
Community Manager

Ok, thanks for the feedback.

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ihayesjr
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for posting the idea.

• Archived: Due to a low strategic fit, technical feasibility, or the support of your peers, ideas with this status are not being considered for implementation at this time. Thank you for your contribution, every idea has merit. We always encourage you to rework and resubmit these ideas based on feedback received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report