Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault SQL DB is filling up my C: drive

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
461 Views, 6 Replies

Vault SQL DB is filling up my C: drive

My AUTODESKVAULT SQL DB instance is filling up my C: drive to the point where I can't take a backup.  It says the log file is full.  I would like to expand the C: partition on the vault server. Is there a recommended way to go about doing this?  

I have a physical drive with 2 partitions,  (C: & G:)  

Is the best way to expand C: to temporarily move the data from the  G: drive to another (temp) location, delete the G: drive partition, then expand the C: partition as large as needed and then recreate the G: partition with the remainder of the physical drive and restore the data.

I have a couple initial concerns;
1.  The hidden pagefile.sys resides on the G: Partition.
2. Any chance that this will break Vault in any way?

Is moving my Vault DB and SQL Server to a different drive a better option?  

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mflayler
in reply to: Anonymous

How big is your SQL database btw?

Do you have a SQL Maintenance Plan in place?

If you are using SQL Express it could be that you reached the max allowable.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 7
cbenner

In addition to what @mflayler asked:  Can you provide full system specs, both hardware and software (version and variety of Vault)?

You say the log file is full, there is a way to control how many days of history are kept in your logs. I think you can also just remove old log data to a different text file (so you still have it), to reduce the log file size.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: cbenner

The size of the SQL database is at 28GB.  We are not running a maintenance plan but are now looking into implementing one.  And also running a periodic shrink.  

To fix the problem we basically followed the steps above.  Backed up the files on the G drive partition, removed it, added more space to the C drive, and then recreated the G drive and restored.  

Message 5 of 7
bharath.kumar99

Hi There,

My thoughts on this , 28 GB of storage consumption solely by database is really a lot of data being vaulted, can you please confirm you've been using Vault for few years by now and more importantly can you let us know the size of your filestore pls?

One of the most common mistakes what we've seen at the product support in relation to similar scenario is that customer's IT or DBA's would modify the Vault Databases recovery mode from 'Simple' to 'Full', this would obviously let the database log files to consume a lot of storage by with holding the transaction logs until the DB's are backed up.

Please make sure the recovery mode for all Vault DB's are set to 'Simple' as per the application configs.

Regards,

Bharath Kumar
Message 6 of 7

Oh, our database is 400GB and we are running full backup each night, taking around 8 hours. So it's not impossible, given you have a good storage system. Also the database resides on a different drive than C:

Message 7 of 7
Andy.Spivey

Hi Jon,

As Bharath mentioned, most likely the SQL database recovery model is set to full (vs simple).  Implementing a SQL maintenance plan should correct this for you.  This should also eliminate the need to do a shrink.

Hope that helps!

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report