Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Server Crashes SQL Server Upon Initial Reboot

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
zwalls
407 Views, 7 Replies

Vault Server Crashes SQL Server Upon Initial Reboot

Our IT department is have an issue installing Vault Server, which, we had just purchased from our reseller a few weeks ago, with our SQL server crashing upon initial reboot of SQL server.  We had just upgraded to a new server with SQL Server 2016 or 2018.  After Vault server is installed, Vault asks to be rebooted or it auto reboots.  Once the sever begins to restart, our SQL server crashes, and we are forced to reload a back up to get back up and running, but our server is down until than.  We have two virtual serves and it happened on both.  Does anyone know why and what can be done to fix the issue and install it on our server successfully?  We can't even begin to work with it until we get this server issue installed.

Thanks, Zane

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: zwalls

@zwalls 

Hi Zane,  I think we need more information.  You said sql server 2016 or 2018.... which one is it?  Also, what version of Vault are you trying to install?  And last (for now), can you give us the specs of your servers?  You mention they are virtual, can you give more detail, including the specs of the physical machine(s) they are on?

Message 3 of 8
ihayesjr
in reply to: cbenner

In addition to Chris' reply, did your IT department install SQL Server prior to Vault Server or did they let Vault install the SQL Server?

What is in the Event Viewer logs that make the IT department think that Vault is causing the crash?

What server operating systems are you using?

What edition of SQL server are you using (Standard, Enterprise, Express)?

Event Viewer error logs from the server would be useful.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 4 of 8
zwalls
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thanks to you and Chris replying.  Sorry it took so long, I was waiting for an email with some answers to the questions you had asked about our server from IT, but they have not responded as of yet.  Anyway, the main server didn't crash, it was the virtual servers that did.  SQL was already installed before we installed Vault.  The other information you and Chris had requested, I will get it to you as soon as I find out myself.  Thanks for the help.

Zane 

Message 5 of 8
zwalls

I just talked to our IT department and we are running SQL STD 2017, but he said that it might not be Vault that is causing the crash.  It might be the fact that Vault requires a reboot and the virtual server doesn't like that.  We are looking at installing Vault on a virtual server of it's own, with nothing on it.  What do you think?  Do you have any insight on this?  Thanks, Zane

Message 6 of 8
zwalls
in reply to: cbenner

Here are the specs for both the virtual and the physical.

Physical hardware of the server;

(2) Xeon E5-2620 2.10GHz

96 GB of system memory

Server 2016 Standard Edition

RAID 5 hardware array.

Virtual Server2

(4) Virtual Processors

Dynamic Memory starting at 8GB but currently assigned 10.2GB

Server 2016 Standard Edition

SQL Version 2017

Thanks, Zane

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

The system architecture still isn't clear.  Is the Vault server installed on the physical machine listed in your reply? If so, The Vault server is best installed on its' own server (no other functions), depending on your environment you could install SQL on the Vault server as well (but only for the AutodeskVault instance). I'd recommend assigning additional memory for the SQL instance in any case. 

David P

Message 8 of 8
zwalls
in reply to: Anonymous

The Vault server would be installed on a virtual server.  We tried installing it on both and still the same result.  In both instances they crashed.  We tried virtual server 1 first, when it crashed, and after we restored vs1, we installed it on vs2, and it also crashed.  So you are saying that we should try it on a clean virtual server with nothing on it except the os?  That's what we were thinking also, but when I was talking to Snyergis at SU19 they were surprised that we were having issues installing in on our vs.  That being said we will try to install it on it's own vs.

Thanks, and I will keep you posted,

Zane 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report