Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local version is not being updated when Get from vault. (if local edits made)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1537 Views, 6 Replies

Local version is not being updated when Get from vault. (if local edits made)

Hello everybody,

When I have been working on a file locally, saved, but did not check it out. you get an green dot as status. "Local edited file"

I was used to, when I go in the vault, I can select the green marked file and get the latest version from the vault. With this overwriting the local file.
Now it does not do that anymore. When I try to get the latest version from the vault if it is green, is does not overwrite it. Nothing happens. Only way to get the latest version from the vault is to delete it locally. or use "refresh from vault" in Inventors vault bowser.

What could be wrong?!

B.T.W. It still gets files which are outdated (red)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
smilinger
in reply to: Anonymous

You need to select the force overwrite option from the drop down list at the bottom of the get/checkout dialog.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: smilinger

Thanks for the answer.

But why does it not ask me anymore if i want to overwrite a particular file?

Screen Shot Thursday, March 17, 2016 11-44-03-17-16.PNG
That means the prompt is never used anymore....

Message 4 of 7
Senthil_Kumar

What you are seeing is a right behaviour. We do not download file if the local file is "new". However if you use "Get" and if you choose the option "Force Overwrite" in working folder like the following message that should overwrite the modified file with the latest.

ForceOverWrite.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 7
Neil_Cross

Probably because the majority of end users ignore prompts and smash their way through them, this behaviour helps prevent people from accidentally overwriting newer files.  

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Ok,

Thank you for the answers. I'll have to adapt to the new way of working.
Although it is very tempting to keep using Vault 2014....

Message 7 of 7

What you are saying is completely incorrect and is straight out of a corporate Autodesk flowchart/manual. Force over write does not fix this and never has. I have this problem all the time, which can be partly controlled if you arent working in a project team. Then you can ignore what vault tells you and trust your hard drive. Vault clearly has problems that cant be fixed, and never will be, which is so Autodesk. 

I have tried deleting all on my local drive and the vault still tells me i have different files after a force overwrite get. Thats impossible, just like Vault.

I worked for an EPCI company who used the Solidworks version of vault with Inventor. It was so much better. They probably dont make as much profit with the after sales support, which Vault thrives on, but they will surely win all the customers eventually. Just a **** shame that Solidworks cant match Inventor, or Autodesk would be living only off the pay as you go building industry BIM/REVIT/RECAP clients, which probably generate more revenue anyway.

Vault is poor, and is only just better than doing a Heath Robinson standalone from a server.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report