Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic descriptions don't survive copy design

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ccec_ireland
200 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamic descriptions don't survive copy design

Hi all. I have library parts with dynamic descriptions that reference exported parameters. I copy these parts into jobs, and then edit the parameters, but when I copy design on the part the description becomes static, so I have to re-write the formula each time to make it dynamic again. 

ccec_ireland_0-1727987679564.png

ccec_ireland_1-1727987753980.png

I've tried copying parts in different life cycle states, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. Any idea why this is, or if it can be changed so the copied part also has a dynamic description?

2022: AutoCAD, Inventor, Inventor Nesting, Vault Pro
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pcrawley
in reply to: ccec_ireland

Looking at the screenshot, one dynamic property survives ("Stock Number" is still dynamic) - but "Description" does not, presumably because it references "Part Number" which is effectively deleted and recreated during the copy process. 

Could you try deselecting "Update Part Number" when doing the Copy Design?  That would verify that deleting/recreating the Part Number causes the problem.

I don't have Inventor/Vault Pro 2022 to test, but if it's something you can't control (by not updating the Part number), then a line of iLogic would save you retyping the Description every time.  (Happy to help write it if you can supply a copy of the library part file so I can see the iProperties.)

Peter
Message 3 of 7
ccec_ireland

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I follow, I'm going to have to ask for some more details. Does the description reference the part number in the background somehow? I don't have an explicit link to the part number in the dynamic description that I'm aware of. 

Perhaps I have a view option off or something, but I cannot find the "Update Part Number" checkbox. Where should I expect to see this?

ccec_ireland_0-1728046068503.png

Message 4 of 7
ccec_ireland

Ok, I found it. I was using the standard copy design workflow from within Vault. If I use the iLogic copy design workflow from within inventor, the dynamic description survives. I might just deal with it for now, as I really prefer the vault copy design interface, and this is typically only one part in hundreds in the design being copied. 

I believe the other dynamic property survives a vault copy design because that is a global vault property mapping, not a formula specific to the part. 

I'm guessing that putting a rule in the part would also necessitate using the iLogic copy design process for the rule to survive?

Perhaps if we get more sophisticated with our use of iLogic, I will have to switch over to iLogic copy design as my standard workflow anyway. 

Message 5 of 7
swalton

What is the Vault-Inventor property mapping?  How about the Copy-Design Action Rules?  Do any of them affect the Description property?  

Is Vault set up to push Description properties into the Inventor models, it may use the formatted text, not the expression values. 

I have not tested with a Vault that only pulls the Description data from the Inventor model, but that change might keep the expression working.  It might mean that users could not edit any Description props in Vault and see the changes in Inventor.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 6 of 7
ihayesjr

@ccec_ireland 

As @swalton indicated, you have Copy Designed Configured to modify these properties during the copy process.

You need to look at your Copy Design Rule Set and remove these properties from the Rule Set.

Also, I recommend making these property mappings in one direction, from File to Vault. 

If a user attempts to use the Edit Properties command and modify the description, the formula will be removed and made static.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 7 of 7
ccec_ireland

@swalton @ihayesjr Thanks for that information. I will have to look into this some more. We actually do a lot of property editing in Vault, so I'll have to evaluate which of these is the more valuable work flow and configure accordingly. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report