Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable viewing under behaviors tab

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cdbussey
438 Views, 9 Replies

Disable viewing under behaviors tab

We have users that go to "Tools > Administration >Vault Settings > Vault Settings > Behaviors tab > Lifecycles" and make requests on things they see/assume. We would like to hide this area from most users, but we've not found the role element that gives this view permission...does anyone know which role element to remove?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bonnrhee
in reply to: cdbussey

You will have to remove the permission "Read Behavior Definitions".

Since the "out of the box" system Roles cannot be edited, you will have to create a custom role, and remove "Read Behavior Definitions" from the "selected Permissions".

e.g. - Copy the "Document Consumer" role, give it a new name, then EDIT this role.  You can now assign this role to your users and groups. 

Role.png

Message 3 of 10
cdbussey
in reply to: bonnrhee

Excellent...thank you very much

Message 4 of 10
cdbussey

I have an update on this change...after making the change, I had several users claiming they could no longer see the dialog that comes up when they selected "Change State". For background info, we have roles that are the same as the default ones that come with Vault (Ex: Document Editor (Level 1A))...these have a couple of differences from the OOTB. This appears to be a bug, because the users that are reporting this issue, are also members of (Document Manager (Level 1A)...this group has "File Change Lifecycle State" as a role permission. I'll likely file an issue with Autodesk unless someone gives information that directs otherwise.

Thanks in advance...

Message 5 of 10
bonnrhee

I think you are correct, it does appear to be buggy and inconsistent.  I tested in Vault Pro Client 2023 and 2024.

I created copies of the roles Doc Editor 2 and Doc Manager 2 and removed "Read Behavior Definitions" from the permissions.  

I tested the following actions:

CHANGE CATEGORY - was successful

CHANGE STATE - no error message or change state dialog box; IE could not change states

CHANGE REVISION - ERROR 303

Message 6 of 10
ihayesjr

@cdbussey 

You will not be able to accomplish what you are looking for.

The Read Behaviors Definition is not only for reading the Behaviors in the Vault Settings dialog. When a user needs to change the state of a file, behind the scenes, the code needs to be able to read how the behavior was set up to know what to allow and what not to allow. Hence the need to have the Read Behaviors Definition permission.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 7 of 10
cdbussey
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thanks,

Any thoughts on how to solve my initial problem?

Message 8 of 10
ihayesjr

Are you talking about not allowing them to see the Vault Setting information?

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
cdbussey
in reply to: ihayesjr

Yes

Message 10 of 10
ihayesjr

There is not a way to prevent that.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report