Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Design failes yet again.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
len.krenzler
453 Views, 9 Replies

Copy Design failes yet again.

Is there any way to stop Copy Design from failing over silly things?  Here's the latest in a long string of frustrating errors.  I have no idea why it's even looking for the file shown in the error and why it would just stop because of it.

Any help on how to avoid this would be much appreciated.

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

I've been away from Inventor/Vault for some time and while Inventor has progressed very well and I'd glad to be using it, Vault has not.  They said this was fixed in 2022 but it clearly isn't.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/copy-design-that-actually-works/idc-p/8711029#M8219

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

This error is due to bad processes/practices, in particular the file path is too long. You can avoid it by reducing the name of folders in the file paths, or the file names themselves.
Windows limits the file path length, so it is not really something the software can do better at, aside from, of course 100% agree with you there, prompting us better about what needs to be done to fix it:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Could-not-find-a-p...

Message 3 of 10
james.bergey
in reply to: len.krenzler

I am Len's coworker on this, and this happened to me.

It is incredibly frustrating that when copying over a large assembly, this is an entire plant, that something so simple can just stop and the whole process with no way to save the settings I had, no choice but to start all over again.

No option to ignore, no option to fix or edit, no option to go back, save settings, such a huge waste of time and zero confidence that if I try again, it's not just going to do the same thing again.

I also have run into the error of "this will create a duplicate file" or something like that, but it won't tell you which file it's related to. There are 2394 files in this assembly, how on earth am I going to determine which one is the problem?

It took me close to an hour with to get everything changed over to copy, then this silly error, and I need to spend probably another 45 min doing it again to maybe have it do the same thing.

It's also so frustrating that you can't select a whole group of items, and just change them to copy, you have to click on each and every one, it's very tedious, very time consuming, and likely to cause you to miss something.

I really like and am very impressed with Inventor as a whole, and Vault in general I have no issues with either, it's a bit quirky, but it's no problem once you get used to it, but this Copy design thing really needs improvement!

The irony is, the bigger the assembly, the more important this is, and the more likely it is to error and make you do it all over again. I would be fine with some weird quirky things to deal with, but just crapping out with no option to fix leaving you high and dry and wasting an hour or 2 or three with zero idea how to solve the issue or go back in pretty unacceptable.

Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the quick reply.  We don't name anything like this and appears to be a content center related part.  I'll see what I can do to track it down. 

Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 10

It turns out it was in a legacy custom content center library with a name way too long. Thanks for the help!
Message 6 of 10

I usually asked designers to use Copy Design in smaller batches of files, never over a few hundred at a time, because indeed it can ruin your day if a setting or two are off. There is no quick Undo button, and the PDM admin is usually the one to clean up. Assemblies and iParts also introduce issues if someone tries to copy design those, so the teams need to be educated and reminded often on how to use the tools.
It got to a point in a previous office where any Copy Design performed by anyone of the 50+ designers would need to be executed in front of me, for a while...
It's a simple tool, but the combinations of files, folders, projects, permissions, and properties make each scenario a bit unique.
All I can say is that I would log ideas on the Ideastation if you can organize your frustration. I know it is hard sometimes, but if harnessed it is worth gold. Also in order to write process documentation to make less error-prone operations.
Good luck!

P.S.: you're welcome, Len

Message 7 of 10
Message 8 of 10
iamerm

@len.krenzlerand @james.bergey I feel your pain!

Vault, including Copy Design, is an extremely valuable tool.  But when you get get that crash after working through a large Copy Design it makes you want to smash something.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend following the advice @Gabriel_Watson gave.  Here's my general workflow when trying to Copy Design large assemblies:

1 - Perform a Copy Design on the top-level assembly and set EVERYTHING to reuse, with the exception of any drawings that detail the top-level assembly.

2 - Begin performing Copy Designs on smaller sub-assemblies.  Use your judgment on what size chunks you decide to take on knowing there's always the possibility of a Copy Design crash.  After the new sub-assemblies have been created, DO NOT EDIT them yet (this is important).

3 - Open the newly created top-level assembly, and one by one use the Component -> Replace command to bring in the newly created sub-assemblies.  If you bring them in BEFORE you start editing them, none of your constraints will blow up.

4 - Begin editing as normal.

That method may not apply to every situation, but perhaps the general idea may be helpful.

Message 9 of 10
james.bergey

Thanks @iamerm that is basically what we are doing.

Message 10 of 10
iamerm
in reply to: james.bergey

Good deal.  And thanks for lending support to https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-ideas/save-a-proposed-copy-design/idc-p/12180989

Now that it's been over 10 years and I no longer have any hair, maybe it will gain some traction. 😂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report