Community
Vault Customization
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault API, Data Standard, and VBA topics related to programming, creating add-ins, or working with the Vault API.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Numbering Scheme - Same unique part for child files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
JKFarmerMold
146 Views, 1 Reply

Vault Numbering Scheme - Same unique part for child files

We have a Psueo-Smart Part numbering scheme that helps dictate directory locations (pre-vault era file management), but we also restrict vault files and items to be unique. For us this means that the .ipt/.iam will have the same "name" for the related child files .idw, .dwg, .ipn, etc. this helps maintain the related information and allows users know they are working on the correct file across the related file types.

We have started to test the Vault Numbering Scheme to help reduce duplicate part numbers focused around the trailing five digits. However we are finding that when we attempt to create new files, it will provide a repeated part number due to the prefix directory identification numbers and the file extension. I have also attached an image of what we are experiencing.

An example would be a .iam, ipn, and idw file need to go into directory XX, sub directory 0, with -I- assembly identifier and five unique sequential number QQQQQ, which would look like this when together XX0-I-QQQQQ and then when applied to the three files:

XX0-I-QQQQQ.iam

XX0-I-QQQQQ.ipn

XX0-I-QQQQQ.idw

But when we use the Vault numbering scheme we get this:

XX0-I-QQQQQ.iam

XX0-I-QQQQ1.ipn

XX0-I-QQQQ2.idw

and should a terminating component need to be numbered we get this:

XX0-QQQQQ.ipt

XX0-QQQQQ.idw

which gives the same last five digits of the sequence. What needs to be done inside vault without the use of Fusion or heavy custom coding to ensure that the last 5 digits remain unique for that file and its related children files?

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Nick_Hall
in reply to: JKFarmerMold

Hi

I've got a couple of ideas

1. You could use the the built-in Vault Numbering Scheme to generate names ONLY for the model files (IPT & IAM), which, from your post you appear to have done
    Then, when you create the IDWs & IPNs, do that in Inventor, where they will default to the same name as the model they are referencing. This will mean that you would get file names like XX0-I-QQQQQ.iam, XX0-I-QQQQQ.ipn & XX0-I-QQQQQ.idw, or XX0-QQQQQ.ipt & XX0-QQQQQ.idw

2. If you want to create the IPT+IDW, or IAM+IPN+IDW, together, you could look at Data Standard
    You would need to do some modifications to the supplied New File form, so that it adds all the files at once, but it shouldn't be that difficult

Hope that helps. If you want any more details, let me know

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report