Community
Unreal Live Link for Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Unreal Live Link topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to use Maya to Unreal Live Link, but Film rigs aren’t translating

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mettam
371 Views, 1 Reply

I want to use Maya to Unreal Live Link, but Film rigs aren’t translating

I have a character rig made for film not games, I want to use the LiveLink plugin so that I can render in Unreal and annimated in Maya in real-time.  Unfortunately so far this does not translate well. Is there a workflow that will respect the more sophisticated film rig while maintain the LiveLink connection? 

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Carlos_Carpintero
in reply to: mettam

Hello mettam

The first thing to verify is whether the rig is imported correctly into Unreal Engine, the skeleton and it's bones have to be named exactly the same in Maya and Unreal, and  the root bone you are syncing to has to be identical as well. If one of these things are not done correctly, it will not work. Also, if your rig in Maya contains custom nodes or Maya specific nodes that don't export correctly through FBX, then you may run into issues.

This is from the Live Link Documentation: "If your character behaves strangely in Unreal, check to make sure its skeleton hierarchy is the same between Maya and Unreal. Live link requires the hierarchy and bone/joint names to match exactly. Also, Unreal only supports FbxSkeleton and FbxMesh nodes, so if your original rig uses other nodes you may need to make adjustments to ensure compatibility."

Best regards,

Carlos

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report