Trial Download, Installation and Getting Started
Ask questions and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics for Autodesk product trials.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install - "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Please try again or contact Autodesk Support."

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
dmartyna
919 Views, 19 Replies

Unable to install - "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Please try again or contact Autodesk Support."

"An error occurred while preparing the installation.  Please try again or contact Autodesk Support."

Originally when I tried to install i received an error that my system wasn't adequate.  (not possible) 

I tried a clean uninstall, removed some registry info, removed all autodesk files and now I can't get the install process to even start without the error....

"An error occurred while preparing the installation.  Please try again or contact Autodesk Support."

Original Title: Unable to install
Title changed by @LeoWarren-EDU to improve clarity.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU
in reply to: dmartyna

Hi @dmartyna,

Welcome to the Autodesk Trial Connect Community!

Have you seen our article on this error message? I recommend trying the steps outlined. Please let me know if you continue to have any issues.

I also recommend using a browser install method that downloads the entire installation rather than streaming the download. To do this, go to https://manage.autodesk.com/products, click the dropdown next to the install button, and select download.

I hope this resolves the issue for you. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

All the best,

Please 'Like' posts that are helpful. If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Mark as Solution'

Leo Warren
Community Manager - Students & Educators
Are you a student? Come join our Student & Educator Community! | Education Knowledge Base | Rules and Etiquette

Message 3 of 20
dmartyna
in reply to: LeoWarren-EDU

As per my post, I did everything on the outlined fix. The link for odis is
broken and all other items did not help. I tried web install as well, I
also tried 2024 install. All had same issue.
Message 4 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

Thanks for following up. Can you share the installation log files? We have a step-by-step guide for doing this here.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Please 'Like' posts that are helpful. If a post answers your question then feel free to click the 'Mark as Solution'

Leo Warren
Are you a student? Come join our Student & Educator Community! | Education Knowledge Base | Rules and Etiquette

Message 5 of 20
dmartyna

The link does not work

https://emsfs.autodesk.com/utility/odis/1/OdisLogCollection/win/AdskODISLogCollectionTool.exe

similar to the link for the ODIS download.  They do not work.

Please advise.

Message 6 of 20
dmartyna

Message 7 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,
Which browser are you using? Are there any settings that block the download of an .exe file? For the time being, I've attached the Log Collection Tool in a zip file.

Leo Warren

Message 8 of 20
dmartyna

It doesn't even get to the download.  It says the site/web page doesn't exist.

Message 9 of 20
dmartyna

here is the log

Message 10 of 20
gregaudixwerg

I keep getting the same error, it's either unable to initialize download or failed, contact Autodesk

Message 11 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna and @gregaudixwerg,

Can you try running removeodis.exe from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AdODIS\V1 and then installing the latest version of ODIS from here?

Next, can you press the Windows + R keys and type 'services.msc' into the run window. Inside the services window, please make sure 'Autodesk Access Service Host' has been started.

Finally, can you run the product installer and let me know if you have any issues?

Leo Warren

Message 12 of 20

Hello, @dmartyna and @gregaudixwerg,
Did the suggestions in my last post help you and answer your question? 

If yes, please click on the "Accept as Solution" button. Then also other community users can easily find and benefit from the information. 

If not, please don’t hesitate to give an update here in your topic so all members know what the progression on your question is and can suggest the next steps that might be helpful for you to achieve what you´re looking for. 

All the best,

Leo Warren

Message 13 of 20
dmartyna

when I click on your link "ODIS from here?"  I Get the following message.  Same as the last time i tried.

This site can’t be reachedThe webpage at https://emsfs.autodesk.com/utility/odis/1/installer/latest/AdODIS-installer.exe?_ga=2.150471923.4144... might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
ERR_ADDRESS_INVALID

Message 14 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

I apology for the difficulty in getting the installation downloads - I'm not entirely sure what the cause is but I've asked internally. I've just sent you a PM with a new link to download the installer.

All the best,

Leo Warren

Message 15 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

Did you manage to get up and running with Inventor following the update of the Autodesk ODIS service? Please don't hesitate to reach out if you are experiencing any further issues; I'd be happy to help until you are up and running with Inventor.

Leo Warren

Message 16 of 20
dmartyna

ok, installed the odis service.  I see it in services  after pressing windows +R however when I right click on it to start it I get an error "Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

Autodesk desktop licensing service is running.

Message 17 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

Can you try deleting the blocked debugger values from the registry? We have a support article for Error 2 that covers this, and given the reinstallation of ODIS, I expect this is the most likely remedy to succeed. If this fails, I'll create a case on your behalf with our Installation support team.

Leo Warren

Message 18 of 20
dmartyna

I was able to get autodesk access service host running with the Error 2 support article however the original error still occurs when I try and run the install.

Message 19 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

I've created a case with our Installation and License support team, who will be able to connect with you and investigate the cause of this issue,

Thank you for your patience,

Leo Warren

Message 20 of 20
LeoWarren-EDU

Hi @dmartyna,

Do you need any further assistance trialling Autodesk Inventor? Please don't hesitate to reach out, and I'd be happy to help,

All the best,

Leo Warren

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report