Structural Bridge Design Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Structural Bridge Design Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Structural Bridge Design topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Floating point division by zero" in Structural Module

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
8100 Views, 5 Replies

"Floating point division by zero" in Structural Module

Hi,

When I attempt to run the influence surface generator or analyze the structure, I am getting a "Floating point division by zero"  error.

This is with 2016 service pack 3. In the past, I had an issue with a similar error on 2014, and it was fixed by changing graphics card settings. In this case, it is on a laptop with integrated Intel graphics only.

Is there a fix for this problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
david.geeves
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi David,

I'm not sure what would be causing this so it would be best if I had a look at your data files to see if I could reproduce it.  It doesn't sound like the graphics card issue that you say you experienced with 2014 and I haven't had any other reports that this occurs when trying to analyse a structure/run the load optimization.

If you attach the project data file (with any linked beam or section files if appropriate) to a reply to this post I will see if I can spot anything obvious.

Kind regards

David Geeves

Enterprise Prority Support
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: david.geeves

Thanks David,

I've attached the model.

Message 4 of 6
david.geeves
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi David,

I notice that you are running version 2016.1 (the original 2016  version) in which there were a few issues with linked beams that may be causing this.  I would seriously consider applying the latest patch to the 2016 version which corrects these issues.  To get around this problem you can embed the linked beams into the project data file (this needs to be done one at a time with 2016.1 but can be done all at once from the first patch onwards).

2017-01-12_1423.png             2017-01-12_1432.png

2017-01-12_1432.png

You can work with the embedded beams in the same way as in the separate files and this gives huge advantages when transferring load from the analysis.  If you really want to work with separate beams files then you can relink them again.

If you are going to apply a patch I suggest you apply patch #3 which will give you 2016.4.  Also note that the latest version is 2017.

I hope this helps

Kind regard

Dave Geeves

David Geeves

Enterprise Prority Support
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks David, that has worked perfectly.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks David, that has worked perfectly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report