Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max INTERACTIVE and Oculus Rift - 2018 -

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3026 Views, 10 Replies

3ds Max INTERACTIVE and Oculus Rift - 2018 -

Hello, 

My name is Giorgio and I'm new in this community 🙂

I bough a Rift just yesterday and it works great with sensors and the touch pads. I would like to create some 3D environment to walk into.

I'm starting to use 3ds Max Interactive in order to do that.

When I start a 3dsMax Interactive template scene (using the button 'test level') I can see the scene on my laptop screen, but not on my Oculus
I also tried to press the 'run project' button instead of 'test level', but I don't see anything through the Oculus.

Did I miss something? Like a plug-in or similar?
Have I to set some preference in 3ds Max maybe? I mean something like: 'Use my Oculus Rift instead of the laptop screen?' 🙂

Thank you very much!

My specs are:
- Alienware R4 17
- Oculus Rift 2018
- 3ds Max Interactive 2018

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
medmonds
in reply to: Anonymous

Instead of starting with Run Project, try the Test Level option first.

Did you use one of the templates to start your first project in Max Interactive? Ensure you can get it working there first.

Are you running the Oculus Rift Core 2.0 Beta? I've had problems with Max Interactive and the Beta. It usually works the first time I put it on, but if I take it off it doesn't reconnect. You might also have problems if you've installed SteamVR. It tries to take control of the Oculus when launching certain programs.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: medmonds

Hey MedMonds! Thanks so much for your reply 🙂

Yes, I tried 'Test Level' first, but no results, I don't see anything inside the Oculus.

Yes, I used a template as project to open. The very basic one.

No, I'm not using the Beta version of Oculus. I heard that the core 2.0 is a little yet buggy.

No, I haven't SteamVR.

I did this thread just because I was wondering if there was some "obvious" think I didn't do, like a click over some menu option or install a plug-in I don't know just because I'm new about VR... Smiley Frustrated

Message 4 of 11
medmonds

Have you made sure you have the latest approved driver for your graphics card?

Also get the latest build of Max Interactive, 3DS Max, and Oculus software.
There was an update last week...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks!
Yep I did it.

I’m wondering if when I start 3dsMax interactive, the oculus Home app should be closed.. so to let Oculus be active for the stingray signal
Message 6 of 11
knife22

hello giorgiolucagno,

I was wondering if you ever resolved your issue with the oculus?  I'm a new to it as well and having the exact issue. There seams to be no help on this anywhere.  I've seen that you've asked the same question on you tube with no response.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: knife22

Hi,

well, since I had a lot of problems with Autodesk, INTERACTIVE,  Stingray, etc etc (to reply to this message for instance I had use my phone to receive a security code and blah blah) I decided to abandon Autodesk and all their horrid softwares to move on Unreal engine to do VR. So, basically I'm modeling in Blender or Modo, sometime Max, but less and less, and then exporting to FBX to pass my objects to Unreal Engine, building my VR world and physic there.

Sorry not helping with INTERACTIVE 🙂
Good luck!

Message 8 of 11
Shanii2
in reply to: knife22

have you used the correct template projects.  each vr module has different template. occulus google vr. gear, and steam vr.. are seprate not the basic template. there is no setting their

Message 9 of 11
knife22

Thanks for the reply.  Just downloaded Unreal Engine today. 

Message 10 of 11
knife22
in reply to: Shanii2

Yes, used the Oculus VR gear template but for some reason the Oculus assets are not available in the template.

If I use the Desktop VR template, it has the Oculus assets.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous Welcome.

In Oculus Settings, you already allow 3rd party programs to use Oculus Rift hardware?

image.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report