Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflection Globe Problem

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
RichJacobUK
1362 Views, 13 Replies

Reflection Globe Problem

Hi All,

Having a weird issue with reflection globes,

I built my main architectural geometry in revit. Linked the rvt into a 3ds Max scene. Then Added other models and details.

Everything transfers perfectly into Max Interactive and deploys fine to Oculus. But … When I add reflection globes and bake , I am getting reflection of the outside sky on every reflective surface.  Instead of reflecting the interior environment/objects.

Is this because the Revit Geometry is linked and not imported ?

Is there something obvious I am missing or does this sound like a bug ?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
hagen.deloss
in reply to: RichJacobUK

Hi @RichJacobUK 

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums!

This is interesting, and I have had something similar happen as well. The first thing I would do is follow the below steps.

1. Save all materials (right click the material and select save).
  2. Save models into a locally pathed folder.
  3. Save the whole project.
  4. Bake the lights.
  5. See if that changes anything.

My gut says you may just need to save all your materials that have been made in Stingray, I was having the same trouble with normal maps not baking out with the lights, but then I realized I hadn't saved the material. If that doesn't do the trick, I may have to take a look at your scene files and see what I can come up with.

Talk to ya soon!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 14
hagen.deloss

@RichJacobUK 

Any ideas or questions on my previous post? It would be helpful if you had time to give an update, that way other Community Members can benefit from your process 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 4 of 14
hagen.deloss

--Repeat post--

Hagen Deloss

Message 5 of 14
RichJacobUK
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Hi Sorry for late reply.. Have been under pressure at work :). I will try and give you a full update tomorrow . Thankyou for your patience.
Message 6 of 14
RichJacobUK

Hi Again..

Ive still been unable to try your suggestions as yet. Ive been so in demand lately lol. I will get on this as soon as I can and get back to you with an update.

Thankyou again for your patience.

Message 7 of 14
hagen.deloss

@RichJacobUK 

No worries! I'm here if ya need help whenever 😄 

Hagen Deloss

Message 8 of 14
RichJacobUK

Hi @hagen.deloss 

Finally managed to get a moment to try what you suggested.

Im still getting the sky/cloud reflection on my internal reflective objects.

Can I send you a file to look at please ?

Hopefully theres something glaringly obvious 🙂

Thanks in advance

Message 9 of 14
hagen.deloss

Sure @RichJacobUK 

Feel free to either attach the scene file to your next post, or upload the project to the file sharing link I just sent you via private message 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 10 of 14
RichJacobUK

Hi Hagen.deloss
I have uploaded the file now to the link you provided. Thankyou in advance for any light you can shed on this.
Kind Regards

Message 11 of 14
hagen.deloss

Hi @RichJacobUK 

I'm taking a look at your scene now and I think I may have some insights, though I'm still learning about reflection probes and materials inside 3ds Max Interactive myself.

My first search actually turned up a previous forums post by you that was resolved, which led me to a video that you probably have already seen, I'm linking it below just to be thorough 😄

I played around with the scenes reflections probes a little, but i think the issue is the imported materials that don't have the specular attributes that can accurately reflect the elements in the scene that you want them to. I would start there. 

I will keep looking around to see if I come up with a more concrete answer for you on why this is happening. 

Hagen Deloss

Message 12 of 14
RichJacobUK

@hagen.deloss 

Ahh yes I remember seeing this video.

One thing I was thinking. The problem seemed to be with the transparent glass material I used on the windows. I bring in all my models with a standard grey Max material . And then I make the materials Im going to use, inside Interactive.

Im sure this never used to give me this problem . Im going to study the video and look back through some old scenes I have built where the reflections worked great.

Thanks for you help on this. Much appreciated.

and Thanks in advance for anything else you can come up with.

KInd regards.

Message 13 of 14
RichJacobUK

Hi Again,

Having tried a few suggestions to hopefully solve this issue im having I tried an online simple tutorial for reflective glass.

It seemed simple enough but I didn't get a good result.. ie .. still no interior reflection ( other than the outside sky map showing as an interior reflection )

I do get a reflection on my metal window frames though. But when I use a standard transparent shader with opacity set I get none of the internal objects reflecting in the glass still.

Here is some screen shots of my scene and some of the settings.

reflection in frame and not in glassreflection in frame and not in glassmat settingsmat settingsshader graphshader graphstandard base settingsstandard base settings

This issue only happens with opaque materials.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Kind regards.

Message 14 of 14
RichJacobUK

Hi @hagen.deloss 

I just wanted to update this thread as I found what I was doing wrong.

What I did was to add a UVmap modifier in 3ds Max , to the window object and then re-send to Interactive. Now I am getting reflections of interior objects 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report