Stingray Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Stingray Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Stingray topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET support

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
634 Views, 6 Replies

.NET support

Hello guys - would Stingray support .NET either as a scripting langauge or at SDK level (like 3ds max does - so I can write plugins in .NET)?

Thanks,

S.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I second this. I dont like lua at all and visual scripting is unnatural to me

I have a large code base from C# I would like to implement should I chose to use this engine

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Since this is an open user forum I thought I'd just throw my opinion in:

I much prefer Stingray's lightweight code and methodology. C# has a giant runtime and stdlib, and a lot of baggage. Stingray's core seems relatively small and easy to understand, and the data is layed out in a simple way. Lua is a small language that's well-designed and compact (Lua interpreter and LuaJIT are also both well designed and understandable). There are lots of engines that use C# if that is the most important feature for you. (Paradox Engine, LibGDX, Unity, UE4 + Mono, etc.) I don't think Stingray's design lends itself particularly well to being strongly coupled to big monolithic managed environments like .Net.

Basically I like Stingray the way it is (granted, I only have about 20 hours of experience with it, but still...) and I hope it stays lean'n'mean through its life and can resist the endless onslaught of "please add this runtime/language/binding" requests that tend to bog down engines as they grow old 🙂 (No offense to your feature request, it makes sense, but I wanted to throw my own vote in.)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

No generic library? There's even no socket support. No way to use socket to build networking.

Built-in networking are just LAN and console platforms.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Stingray comes along with a lot heavy-weight libraries (lua itself, physics, etc.) - and it's fine for such system - so it's not true that Stingray is small 🙂 .NET is neither monolitic - it's all depends on your project structure and referenced libraries.

Adding particular binding doesn't have to bog core system down - it's all depends how you handle extensibility at architecture level.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I thnik that Autodesk need to clear this up - who's target audience? Right now it's missing some featrues required for serious applications - i.e. mentioned networking or custom shaders support? I'm not saying Stingray sucks - it's just at the begining of it's product lifecycle, but still people need to know where it's going in order to make a conscious decision.

Message 7 of 7
_robbs_

Runtime scripting is only Lua.

You can write a plug-in for the engine in C. From there, I imagine you could call out to a .NET assembly, though I haven't tried it myself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report