Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rigging double helix DNA strand

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
725 Views, 1 Reply

Rigging double helix DNA strand

I'm in a pickle here, trying to animate something or find a previously animated scene file of it.
It's a shame my first post here has to be such a plea for help, but there you have it. Nobody's perfect 😛

I am working on an animation involving human DNA, formed in a double helix.
It will at one stage unzip itself from one end, split apart, and new genomes will join together to form a new ladder of DNA.
I've previously worked on things with DNA before, but never this complicated. Modelling it was easy enough, with two spirals forming the crvs for 2 surfaces representing the curved edges of the double helix. The spirals aren't frozen so it is possible to unwind the entire strand at once. The "fun" part is now working out how to do it progressively creating the unzipping effect.
Here are a couple of references of what I'm on about: The first shows the new dna being built quite nicely, the second shows the unzipping effect. Both show way too much detail for the curriculum being taught, so ignore the huge pink thing and other 'machines'.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZ8o9D1tus

www.youtube.com/watch?v=teV62zrm2P0

Has anyone got any pointers as to how they'd go about rigging this kind of thing?
Alex
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I'm also trying to do something similar. I downloaded a pdb with a long 3D structure of a double helix DNA. I wan to animate it 🙂 but I find difficulties to unzip the DNA in some regions, and also in malking it linear.... How do you make divisions in a double helix? due to manipulate just 10 bp regions, not the complete structure? 

Do someone have a nice tutorial to follow?

best,

Sandra

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report