Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal Map "Wrap U V W"?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
pjneese
405 Views, 1 Reply

Normal Map "Wrap U V W"?

So i have a normal map I'd like to use on a wall that has a repeating texture using the Projection Wrap settings...but the normal map will only apply once using this projecting and the tangents the new button creates. I'm assuming now that it is something to do with the tangents as the normal map is using a projection that is properly wrapping the diffuse image.

Is there a way to use normal maps like this?  Should I be using a grey scale bumpmap instead?

All the tutorials I have seen do not use a normal map in this way, but more for high to low poly information.  

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: pjneese

There's a couple ways to bump map.

1. Let Softimage do the bump mapping for you

- Select your box or object you want to have bump mapped.

- Press Shift+7 to open the texture layer editor.

- If you dont see anything in the view port press the refresh button (two rotating arrows beside edit view and lock).

- Double click the texture you want bump mapped.

- In the texture tab under bump mapping click enable.

- If you want to tweak it change the "Factor" parameter to increse, decrease, or invert the bump.

2. Add a bump map to your object using the Material Manager

- Press Ctrl+7 to open the Material Manager

- Select the material of your box object

- Add a bump map node to your material

- Attach your bump map texture (the blue one) to the Bump Map Node

- Attach the Bump Map Node to your object

MaterialNode.jpg

- Double click the Texture Node of your bump map image.

- Set the Texture Projection to one of your projections

- If you have no texture projections click "New" beside it, and create a "Unique UVs (polymesh)" projection. Maybe you want a Cubic projection if it doesnt look right. Differnt object types work better with the differnt texture projections.

- Under the Advanced Tab, Change your texture repeats as necessary (This was probably your issue)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report