Softimage Forum (Read Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Softimage Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Softimage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few newbie questions...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
333 Views, 7 Replies

Few newbie questions...

Hi,
I dont know if forum is mature enough, but as I can see there is almost 600 people registered, maybe we ready to move on to some real discussion? 😛
So I will go straight to the point:
1. If I am welding points/edges, do polygons (between them) get removed as well?
2. How can I set up shortcuts for OpenGL rendering modes?
3. Can I snap edge/point to another edge/point in the same object (when I am moving not welding)?
4. How to lock zooming and panning Top/Side/Front windows?
5. Does geometry needs to be connected to have proper high resolution rendering? Or just perfectly matching will be enough (I mean without welding points)?
6. How to clean geometry, merge points occupying same place and unify polygons (merge them , all in one go?
7. Can I somehow select every other or third point/edge/etc (in a circle for example, I am selecting one then 4th then 8th automatically.

I do not know if all questions are clear, my English and habits from other 3d programs could made this sometimes little bit too difficult to understand.
Cheers
Tomek
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

1. yes.
2. afaik you can't, instead use middle click button to toggle between the current and the last display mode used.
3. sure you can, just hold down CTRL to activate the snapping (remember that if you work with a subd object the snap will work on the un-subdivided cage and not on the subdivided object that you see in the viewport).
4. if i understand correctly you want to zoom and pan at the same time in all 3 viewports? If this is I'm not sure that you can.
5. what do you mean?
6. that depends of the topology of your object. You can use the filter point/edges/polygons under model -> poly. mesh. or the great polygon reduction tool... again it depends of the topology.
7. don't really know if you can automatically can do that, maybe with a little script or smth...
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

command Synchro_Zoom_inspect
or in an empty field viewport from the contextual menu
install and restart XSI

softimage.ru/files/addons/dep/SynchroZoom.zip

link from here (RUS)
softimage.ru/forums/index.php?showtopic=2769&hl=во+всех+о&...
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Hello,

just to complete the previous answers :
1. You can easily check that by looking at the polygon count of the objet before and after the operation.
2. It's possible since... v6.0 I guess ? In the keyboard mapping, click the button labeled "View in Browser", start a search for keyword "Wireframe" for example, and you will find the command name for what you need.

Regards,
Christopher.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

7. Can I somehow select every other or third point/edge/etc (in a circle for example, I am selecting one then 4th then 8th automatically.

There is a script out there called jj_loopstep - go and search for it.
Unfortunately it doesn't work for x64 versions so I didn't have the opportunity to test it yet.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you, you guys are awesome. 🙂
I will try to explain 5th question again.
Imagine plane used as a floor, then I am extruding one edge up, to make wall, 9 units high, with another edge (connecting one) I will do extrusion 3 times 3, 3 and 3 units and then I will delete middle one so I will finish with ‘window’. Both walls blind one and with the window are not sharing edges, but polygons are touching each other. My question is, is it proper geometry, not for game engine but rendering only?
Cheers
Tomek
Message 7 of 8
Stephen.Blair

There is a script out there called jj_loopstep - go and search for it.
Unfortunately it doesn't work for x64 versions so I didn't have the opportunity to test it yet.

See reply #6 here: www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=32415

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

@Soth: i think that it's ok in most cases, maybe some artifacts if you use global illumination of final gathering...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report