cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clipping Layer

Clipping Layer

So I recently decided to try out Sketchbook since it became free to use, & I actually really like a lot it has to offer, like the slick UI and its versatile tools and brushes. But the one thing that I'm kinda surprised it doesn't have are clipping layers. I personally think this is a rather important tool for a lot of people, especially those who are familiar with other software like SAI or Photoshop, so it'd be great to have this.

There's currently a couple of workflows that I found out to work around this, but they both have drawbacks.

One is to navigate to the base layer, use the Wand to select it all (or maybe just a portion), go back to the previous layer, & paint. The problem is that this can be a tedious process to do repeatedly & with the Wand, a low enough tolerance can lead to unwanted exclusions in the selection.

The other involves using transparency locking. But in cases such as shading, coloring over the base layer is something that tends to be avoided, not to mention that blend modes are unable to be used in the intended way (because the shading is done over the same layer). It's possible to duplicate the layer and use transparency lock with that one, and while this is the closest workaround for clipping layers, we still aren't able to take full advantage of the blend modes (see example below).

Clipping layers can allow these tasks to be more efficient and precise without sacrificing functionality, & it'd be a great addition to Sketchbook.

Example:

This is the desired result, by painting the lighting on a layer above the base color with the Screen blend mode.This is the desired result, by painting the lighting on a layer above the base color with the Screen blend mode.This is what happens when we duplicate the layer, use transparency lock, & use the Screen blend mode (I copied the same highlight pattern from the previous drawing into this one)This is what happens when we duplicate the layer, use transparency lock, & use the Screen blend mode (I copied the same highlight pattern from the previous drawing into this one)

31 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree. Clipping layers, is what I always rely on. I can not do without them. In ClipStudio, Krita and Affinity it makes sketching, painting and designing so much more easy than in SketchBook Pro. I think SKB could be a real big success on all platforms introducing clipping layers, giving Procreate some competition. Clipping layers now! Please!

sceyefeye
Participant

Yes PLEASE!

Clipping layers are glaringly missing from SB

Beyond this I would love to see SB respect or at least ignore adjustment layer, clipping masks and even text (in psd at least). Currently a lot of my workflow goes along the lines of export PDF from AutoCAD, convert to PSD in photo editor, open psd in SB and do "hand rendering" of soft landscape elements and colouring in SB. Due to limits of page sizes usually I wind up doing my work in SB at A3 at high dpi and then linking that to a "full size" title block in photo editor.

Problem is that if I have to do any clipping layers in photo editor and then reopen in SB all my adjustment layers, clipping masks (drawing legends and so on) get lost. Even when I reopen in photo editor SB has turned all my adjustment layers and masks into empty "pixel" layers. And Layers that are not the size of the canvas are frequently also expanded to be canvas size (which means I have to cut out elements if I want to reuse them).

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @Anonymous, 

Thanks for the detailed idea submission.  I often hear of clipping masks being requested and a want to be clear about the terminology and the difference between clipping mask and clipping layer if is any.

Thanks

Colin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @colin.smith,

Yeah, the terminology regarding clipping masks is a bit broad since they can be used different in different programs. But basically, there are 2 different "masks" that can be made with different methods & while they can essentially have the same result, they both have their pros and cons to it.

• Layer Masks are applied on a single layer & it's a separate layer that's "linked" to the base layer. Using the mask, you can define what areas of the layer is visible. This is useful for picking what parts of the base layer should be visible, though changes to the base layer are still "destructive" and this mask can only be made to a single layer.
  • Clipping Masks (or sometimes called clipping layers, which is what I'm suggesting the idea for) are standalone layers that are above the base layer. When setting them to be clipping layers/masks, only the areas that are non-transparent in the base layer will be visible. This is pretty useful for designers and illustrators because you can have multiple, stacked clipping layers that can each have their own blend modes without modifying the original base layer.

This article here has a pretty solid and concise explanation on how both are achieved in Photoshop, so hopefully that helps.

Thanks for starting the review phase on this idea! Hoping to see it taken into consideration.

~ Danny

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

I'm adding this to the backlog for SketchBook, release date TBD. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please!
I've recently run into a situation with my work regarding this lack of tool.

A lot of my work tends to be passed off from client to collaborator and my collaborators sometimes use other software such as; Sai, Photoshop or even Clip Studio Paint.

I'm looking forward to any future updates involving this feature, but until then and for the sake of consistency I'll have to settle with Paint Tool Sai for now!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

im using SketchBook on Android / Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. 

Very nice UI, no lags, nice brushes, pen tilt recognition, just perfect...

Until you try to do cel shading, it becomes utterly useless Smiley Sad

This program needs clipping mask, do you have an update on your Backlog/Sprint planning?

@colin.smith 

It could be working like this: https://docs.krita.org/en/tutorials/clipping_masks_and_alpha_inheritance.html

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clipping mask is great, I would very much like it to happen in Sketchbook Pro! Just don't do it like Krita because it si not compatible with any other program that I know of. If I export a Krita psd file to Affinity Photo or ClipStudio, Krita's clip layers are ruied.

Like always, Photoshop has set the standard for clipping layers, so if Sketchbok Pro ever gets it, it must follow that standard. That way files exported from SKB in psd-file format containing clipping layers can be edited in any other main graphic software.

As for masking: the "Lock Transparency" works just like masking, the old traditional masking for each layers. It works just great for me. But: Clipping Layers / Clipping Masks are more flexible because it masks a whole lyer group, that is what i use it for. 

So, please! Clipping Layer! / Clipping Mask!

Henry 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes yes yes, clipping mask are seriously needed in SB pro. it would make my workflow that much better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's now 2020, is there any new updates on when this will be implemented?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

2020 and we're still waiting !!!! 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable
Me too! Waiting!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie here. Just started using Sketchbook recently, and even though I don't really have a "workflow" yet, I still feel like the lack of Clipping Masks/Layers is a roadblock to efficient shading when using multiple layers.

Is there any kind of ETA for this feature? I know Colin mentioned it was added to the backlog, but anyone got an idea of how many things are on that backlog?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is all silent. Know nothing about the progress… Clipping Layers mght never happen?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that custom brushes and clipping layers/masks on mobile versions is a neverhappen dream for all of us...They can 't or they're not willing to make that happen.Users asking for these two things since 2017 and its 2020 and yet nothing!I believe that most of us we're willing to pay for a full support app which developers are listening their customers.So the only solution that I found for myself is to move on another app cause clipping masks saves me a lot of time with my artworks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find myself doing the same. ClipStudio for me most of the time. Still I love the Sketchbook app on my Surface Pro and Android tablet. It was made for touch devices, the UI is so easy to use. I also love the brushes I got, the Natural Blend and Synthetic Paint settings makes me soo happy each time I use them. The best brushes there is for digital painting.

I am willing to pay for Sketchbook like I did before. If they fix the things we miss.

(I hope Autodesk not will make Sketchbook ”abandonware”?)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update on clipping masks? I love sketchbook pro, but it's painful to use without clipping masks. Duplicating a layer and using the alpha lock never gets the results I want because blending modes don't work properly with it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Clipping masks seem like a really important feature, so it makes me wonder why its missing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Des anyone have any updates on this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing yet...but in the survey in the Sketchbook blog I moved the wish for clipping layers and masking to the top. I think things are moving on since there are new updates done recently. Just hoping it will happen sooner than later 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report