SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wich hybrid computer should I buy for Sketchbook?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
911 Views, 4 Replies

Wich hybrid computer should I buy for Sketchbook?

Hello,

I want to buy a hybrid computer 13 inches around 1300 euros maximum.

I am a product designer and I use a lot SketchBook (that is why I want to buy a hybrid computer). I tried the Ipad and I really liked the touch screen. I also use 3DS Max, Keyshot et Adobe softwares.

Do you know a computer with a good tactile screen and good performances?

I will wait for the sales of black friday...

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
patrick.muenster
in reply to: Anonymous

That's really not easy I think.

For serious drawing, there is nothing comparative to the Wacom devices. But the new Cintiq Mobile Studio 13 starts somewhere at 1600€ I think (and there is now a keyboard included) . So, for high quality drawing your only option is the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil. But this comes with iOS and my personal opinion is, that iOS isn't a good OS for your use case. The applications offer is limited (no photoshop, max, Blender, Maya, etc.). That's the reason why I would not recommend the iPad for you. 

So from my personal experience there is only the Surface Pro (2017) and the Surface Book 2 (a cheap version) that can manage your requirements. 
To make this clear, I think you won't find a hybrid device with dedicated high end graphic card for this price. So, there will be a limitation by working with 3D content in Max. But I think with the Surface Pro (2017) and the Surface Book 2 you have a device which can handle both. The pencil is not as good as Wacom's or Apple's but still very good. And all devices with 4 cores CPUs 8 GB RAM are good enough for serious jobs with SketchBook and Adobe products and basic 3D renderings and modelling. 
Of course there are devices form Lenovo and HP with similar possibilities, but I have no experience with them and that's the reason why I don't want to suggest any device.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: patrick.muenster

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I decided to buy a Mac Book pro and later I will buy a surface tablet. In my job, the 3D is the most important thing so to have a good computer with good performances is more important. As you said, I think that the Surface without high end graphic card it is not enough for 3D for advanced modelling (I am not doing basic modelling...)

I have a Wacom tablet but I dont like the feeling to not draw directly ont the screen..

Thanks for your answer 🙂

Message 4 of 5
patrick.muenster
in reply to: Anonymous

Oh, a Mac Book Pro? I didn't focus on that, but had a look on the specification right now. There is "only" an Iris Plus 640 graphics card in the basic model isn't it? This card is slightly better than the 620 in the Surface Pro devices but still nothing for serious 3D Graphics and I would not recommend it, if this is you main business (I read there will be a new Mac Book Pro with a Radeon graphics card, but this will be more expensive... havn't found it... )

I'm working a lot with 3D graphics as well (as professional and as a hobby) and for this reason I usually go for workstations with a dedicated graphics card. Last was a HP zBook (Nvidia quadro). Now it is a HP Omen (Nvidia Geforce 1060). My only alternativ with this power in form of a hybrid device was the Surface Book 2 (with Nvidia GeForce 1050). But it was too expensive... so, now I got multiple devices for 3D and painting Smiley LOL like you're planing.
To get to the point: What I just want to say is, as far as I know the Mac Book Pro isn't the best choice (around 1300€) when it comes to 3D graphics. But (of course there is always a but) there is the Blackmagic external grahpics card from Apple and this is really powerful and compatible with the Macbook Pro. A serious option, I think about too.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: patrick.muenster

Hello,

Thanks for your answer !

I agree with you the MacBook pro is actually not the best solution and it is also super expansive! (2000 euros for the 15 inches). The HP Omen is good so I will check websites to buy this computer and as I said before later I will buy a tablet as a second device.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report