SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab s3 - Brush Selection cut off

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
503 Views, 13 Replies

Tab s3 - Brush Selection cut off

Hello!

I just got a Tab S3, and downloaded sketchbook. There seems to be a glitch where when selecting brushes - after purchasing pro - the brushes to the right are cut off and barely visible to select. There are 5 brushes in some rows, and it's the 5th brushes that I can barely see. 

Any fix for this?

Thank you!!

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you done any customizations?  I just got an S3 and downloaded SketchBook and I didn't get this issue.  It did ask for an update but I didn't do it yet.

Model: SM-T820

Android:  Android 7

The image you send seems small  (scaled a bit smaller).

David Lau
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Hello David!

Thanks for the response. 

It's really odd, a few hours after posting this glitch simply ceases to exist! I wish I could tell you what caused it or how I fixed it, but I will make sure to report back if I ever figure it out. The only thing I can think of that I did after making this post was go to "new sketch" as opposed to continuing to just delete layers as I was just goofing around.

Thank you anyways though for the response, like I said I'll let you know if it happens again 🙂

The S3 seems great hope you are enjoying yours as well 🙂

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

How you getting on with Sketchbook Pro on the Samsung Tab S3 ?  interested as I'd like to work directly on tablet screen rather than my PC with a separate graphics tablet

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Hello John,

I have really been enjoying it. I will preface by saying I am by no means a
professional, but an aspiring one. I bought the tab s3 so that I could get
better with my digital art, and practice on the go since I have so little
time lately to mess with my Wacom tablet and Photoshop at home. Sketchbook
for Android I'm sure is a bit stripped down from the desktop app, however
for a good quick piece it seems good, accurate and efficient once I
learned the tricks. I will say my biggest disappointment was that for
larger resolution pieces you're rather limited on layers. For a 2k size
canvas for instance I'm limited to 7 layers max. That was unusual and I
didn't know ahead of time. I find myself bouncing back between sketchbook
and infinite painter, you should try them both!
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks - appreciate you mentioning canvas size as I may want to go upto A1 - so will think hard about saving pennies for a Surface Pro or similar

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

You're very welcome!! Check out infinite painter, I found it has less
restrictions and works really well!!
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Galaxy Tab S3 user here and I need to correct some of the info here. 2k res (2000x2000 pixels) gives you 66 layers. 6k gives 7 layers. Infinite Painter can't get to 6k, 4k only with 18 layers At 4k Sketchbook does 16 layers. Sketchbook Pro allows for a larger canvas and easily lets you print on A1 size.

While Infinite Painter has some great tools, it's brush engine is it's weakest point. The brushes are very pixilized and very unnatural. Smudge tools are very limited. When assigning different blend modes to different layers, Infinite Painter gets really slow.

While I see well known artists and illustrators using apps like Procreate or Sketchbook for serious work, very few prefer Infinite Painter. While SB3 and IP were a close match, SB4 has taken a massive leap forward and it's brush engine is far beyond the one in IP. IP used to have a slight edge on Android, but even now it's still a 2015 phone app. The others have moved on and are using the advancements in technology, surpassing IP in many ways.

Sure, I do miss some of the tools in IP, but being able to draw and paint in a very natural way, close to traditional media, is worth sacrificing a few tools for me.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Oh wow, well I could be way off...it's been maybe a month or so since I
used Sb Pro but something could be wrong on my end, I cannot get anywhere
near that many layers on 2k. I'll have to do some digging into this...
Sorry to misinform if I have! I do prefer SB Pro in many ways, some of the
brush customising in IF I really like. But if I could get the layers issue
solved I'd probably mainly use SB
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I've got the feeling you've missed the massive version 4 release. Are you using SB for Galaxy perhaps? That one hasn't been updated to version 4. Version 3 had many restrictions,  version lifted a lot of them and added a whole new brush engine .... as good as the desktop version. They added a lot of desktop features to the mobile versions. SB4 has finally brought professional drawing and painting to Android. It's been out for about a month now.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Wow I'm flabbergasted lol..I've had this tablet for a few months, I do
regular app updates, but you know I do have the Verizon model...last night
my tab s did a firmware update...I opened sketchbook after seeing your
response...and my app is completely different. I'm not even sure what I say
haha...other than, I may be switching back to SB primarily
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

I know I did switch completely for sure. Not saying IP isn't good, it's just not on the same level as SB. Have fun discovering all the new goodies! 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for your post !

What I'm doing is taking an A1 CAD dwg and adding some hand drawn elements and shading to it in Sketchbook and then taking them back into CAD as an overlay.  The workflow works but A1 at 300 DPI is 7016 x 9933.  So does the Android Sketchbook Pro limit me to 6000x6000 pixels? as would have to drop the DPI

With regards to layers - I would be using around 12

The workflow works on my PC just I want to draw on screen - as I use the CAD drawing as a base layer in Sketchbook to drawn over

Many Thanks

John

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Keeping your aspect ratio roughly in mind this is the max on the Tab S3:

Sketchbook Pro 4241x6000 10 layers

Infinite Painter  3443x4871 18 layers (SB does 16 layers at this size)

Artflow 4343x6144 11 layers

There is one app I have installed that can actually handle your resolution and that's LayerPaint HD. I stopped at 60 layers. I once made a poster with it and it printed very well on A2 (my Epson Stylus Pro cannot print larger). At your size LayerPaint has some lag, but still workable. 

If LayerPaint can do it, then it makes you wonder why the others restrict us that much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report