SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scanned art line with transparant background

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1828 Views, 5 Replies

scanned art line with transparant background

Hi,

Could someone be so kind to explain me step by step how I can make a scanned line drawing transparent..?

I can insert the line drawing easily in sketchbook but i have no idea how to make the background transparent.

I've watch some YouTube tutorials but that didn't help me. 

I want to colour the line drawing in an other layer on top of it, so i can easily fill in faces/ shapes, now it doesnt
recognize these. It is possible to colour these in the line drawing itself but i don't want to do that.

I use the Android version on my samsung Tab S4.

Some help would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe you should change the layer mode of your scanned lineart to "Multiply"?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Setting the layer to multiply doesnt work either.

The layer above doesnt see the art line as separate lines and shapes. So if i want to colour

an object with the automatic fill bucket it fills the whole drawing. So i think i need to make the background transparent first to use this tool. The scanned art line drawing has a white background.  What i want is a layer with the line drawing (just black lines) and a second layer to colour the drawing. Perhaps this isn t possible in sketchbook?

By the way a total different question, Is it wise to draw the drawing by hand firts and than scan the drawing or is it better to draw directly in sketchbook?

I feel a bit uncomfortable with drawing digital lines but i love how the colouring works.

Message 4 of 6
david.lau

Can you send me your scan sketch?  You can export to .psd and email it to yourself.  Then you can attach it to this post.

David Lau
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Hi David,

Thanks for your help.
Hopefully you can explain how to colour on top of the line drawing in a new
layer.
Now it doesnt recognize shapes when i use the bucket tool. It colours the
whole drawing.

I have the psd file attached.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Personally i do it in several steps:

First i draw a sketch on a paper and make a photo with digital camera. After that i open it with Sketchbook, give some name and block. Next i create a new layer and draw the lines according paper sketch. The color i choose for digital lineart is usually black, the color of lines on paper is grey ( i use rough pencil). Sketchbook has a good tool for accurate lines - i don't know how to call it in English but it's near symmetry tool. Zooming makes the work easier. When it's ready i make first layer unvisible.

Here is the sample of ready art.Chibi Stormtrooper - PNG.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report