SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for Sketchbookpro

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1024 Views, 4 Replies

Replacement for Sketchbookpro

I have been using Sketchbook Pro for a few years now, but I feel it's time to move on due to the lack of support for known bugs, and more importantly a lack of major features such as autosave. Along with the eye dropper crash I have been having an issue with the app just randomly closing. Recently, when I try to rotate or zoom it takes 6- 10 attempts and it's infuriating. I use a Surface Book and it's only purpose is digital art. What have you guys found to be a good replacement?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

We recently did an update to SketchBook (Windows Store version) to address some crashing issues.  Can you confirm that you are on 5.0.2?

Also, you can use the 'desktop' version of SketchBook that can be downloaded here:

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

This version has a bit more features thanks the 'Windows Store' version of SketchBook and is also 'free'.

David Lau
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

I am using the desktop version. I downloaded it from the Windows store about a week or so ago. I "paid" for the "pro" version a few years ago.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I'm agree with you. Since the last bug where you can't even use the app for more than a month, I use Krita, also on Surface. First there is no need for a silly login at start, less bugs, more updates, and they are listenning the customers/community.  

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I'm sad to say it, but yeah, I'm done. I've used Sketchbook Pro for years and was both on the paid and subscription model.

I'm trying to use it on the Go and I've literally just gotten used to it crashing randomly, sometimes within seconds of being launched. I'm pretty sure the problem is related to the software autosaving, because on the Go, you can tell it's stalled for a second, then it comes back and crashes.. and then when I relaunch, the changes are there, most of the time. It also crashes a lot when you insert a jpg or png file or paste a graphic.

You can just skip the sign on page, so I've also gotten used to that.

But in the end, the rate of crashes has tripled on the Go and I just can't do this anymore. This problem has been around for over a year and not only hasn't gotten better, it's gotten visibly worse. And no, I can't just switch to the desktop version because THAT version handles touch and pen interactions as if you were on a Wacom - it's brutal to use it on a tablet like a Surface.

My suggestion for what it's worth - fix the desktop app to add a mode that handles touch and pen the way the UWP version does and kill off the UWP version. It's just not worth it. Another  issue is that I've not used the Android and iOS versions until recently and I'm kind of shocked how much better they are both in terms of stability and in advancement in development. So, not only is the UWP version almost unusable, it's at least a year behind the Android and iOS versions.

Some other annoyances: The iOS version knows tilt - it's there on the default brushes when it makes sense. Windows has had tilt since the Surface 4 and the Windows versions still don't support it on default brushes. There's no obvious way to set a default page size and orientation. There's no way to resize a canvas after starting. There are missing features like selection blurring. You can't copy and paste a selection from one session into another. The control layout doesn't respect screen orientation and hides controls without any obvious indicator that anything changed. Layer management is schizophrenic - not handling touch well or pen well. In fact this is a chronic problem all throught the app. You tap on a layer or a tool and start drawing only to find that it's missed the tap and you're drawing on the wrong layer or using the previous tool. You can't enter specific select scaling or movements because for some reason, the mindset is 'if it's UWP no one wants to do anything with a keyboard' and paradoxically, 'if it's not UWP, no one wants to use touch and pen.' This is a Surface - it isn't an iPad and it isn't a desktop... break out of those tight pigeonholes...

I've tried hard to stay loyal to Sketchbook Pro - all I wanted was for someone to fix the idiotic approach to touch and pen in the desktop version - which actually IS fixed (mostly) in the UWP version - not a crippled, buggy, constantly crashing semi-replacement - but I'm done.

I'm sorry, but I actually have work to do. If the tool I have won't do it, and if the company that makes that tool won't fix it, time to find another tool or make one - even if it's free, because it's not free if it's actually costing me time and effort to use unnecessarily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report