SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAYER PANEL ISSUE: defaults to small size upon opening EVERYTIME

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
356 Views, 4 Replies

LAYER PANEL ISSUE: defaults to small size upon opening EVERYTIME

Every time I open sketchbook (machine reboot or not) the layers panel always shrinks and and I have to expanded it back to the size I prefer so that I can see as many layers as possible.

**Note**  I have noticed this issue across 4 different machines that I use on a daily basis,  I assume this is a common flaw across all users?

Here is my preference with the layers panel at the right:

SB_layers_cap1.PNG

Here is what it looks like when I reopen Sketchbook:

SB_layers_cap2.PNG

Notice that all my tool bars and panels stay in the location I left them, but the layers panel always shrinks. WHY?

Is this just me, or does this happen to everyone?

Also, I noticed that dragging/ reordering layers is really tedious and if you are not careful, they drop to the bottom of the layer list. This is extremely frustrating and annoying why has this not been addressed years later?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

I would create a sample canvas size + resolution + layers setup and set file to 'read only'.  Use it as a template to start your sketch.

I noticed also that if you re-open a file with layers setup, it should open so you can see all the layers in the file.  I did this with a sketch with 5 layers and 7 layers.

5+6 layer demo + setting up a canvas to read only (template)

https://autode.sk/2U5uUqU

David Lau
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

This doesn't solve the problem though.

It only fixes the issue if you are creating a new file. If I open an existing file the problem still persists. I don't think I should have to create a template "read only" document to save my settings. That would be annoying to do on every machine I work from. 

Also what about the layers issue with reordering and the layer dropping to the bottom of the layers menu?

Message 4 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

1. Layers dropping to the bottom of the list is a known issue.  I have seen that before.

2. In my screencast, I have opened files with 5 and 7 layers without issue.  I am uncertain why yours crops the layer window size.

3. Can you try to reset SketchBook to default?  via Edit > Preferences > Factory Defaults.

David Lau
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Nope. Just tried. I thought it worked for a second, but closing the program on the second attempt proved its still a problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report