SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import image and preserve layers?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4087 Views, 4 Replies

How to import image and preserve layers?

This has got to be one of those annoying things about sketchbook. 

If I am working in an image, and I want to import another image that has layers, nope! Sorry! It'll all come as one layer.

Why can I not import an image with multiple layers? 

Note, I asked this once and was told "just open the file!" No, I already have a file open. I want to add the layers from the other file to this one.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Photoshop - Saves to .psd or .tif and it will maintain layers if opened in Photoshop

SketchBook - Save to .tif or .psd and it will maintain layers if opened in SketchBook.

SketchBook - Save as .psd and if you open in Photoshop, layers will be maintained.  If Photoshop re-saves as .psd, SketchBook will be able to open file with layers intact.

SketchBook - Save as a .tif and if you open in Photoshop, the layers will be flattened to 1 layer.

NOTE:  This also applies to mobile versions of SketchBook (iOS/Android). 

David Lau
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Did you even read it? 

I EXPLICITLY stated that I am not talking about file opening. I am talking about when you have an image already open  in sketchbook and need to import another sketchbook file with its layers preserved.

Message 4 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

I just tried importing a .tif/.psd file.  At this time, that is not supported and you are right that it will not work. 

You are going to need to export each layer separately in .tif/.psd format OR cut/copy/paste a layer at a time into SketchBook one at a time.

I think for SketchBook to maintain the layer stack is a good idea.  I would post it here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-ideas/idb-p/804

David Lau
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Yeah, right. They haven't updated this program ever since it went free. I'm not going to waste my time making a feature request for abandonware lmao

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report