SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Add (White) Outline To Drawing?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
skinnymike1
14239 Views, 3 Replies

How To Add (White) Outline To Drawing?

Hi all, I was wondering how you can surround your drawing in white like an extra outline coating, like this as an example:

highlight.png

Is it done manually, and do I do it on another layer? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
david.lau
in reply to: skinnymike1

It is a manual method.  You need to paint on it.  Only 'vector' apps can you add/duplicate or make an outline 'thicker' in the file.  SketchBook is a bitmap application.

David Lau
Message 3 of 4
skinnymike1
in reply to: david.lau

Thank you for the reply and confirming what I was thinking! I really appreciate it.

This may be a convoluted workaround but I have found a theoretical way that I haven't tested but am sure of:

1. Make outline of lineart (either make the lineart , erase the insides and then copy to another layer, or trace the

lineart's outline on another layer). Make sure this layer is beneath the original lineart. Name it the silhouette

layer.

2. Make sure the lineart is closed and fill in with desired color with the Fill tool (twice to cover any gaps)

3. Now select the entire colored silhouette lineart and scale it to have it being slightly bigger than the original

lineart (which should be above the silhouette layer).

And that should work!

Edit: Just tested it and it works! Well, mostly. You will need to move around the scaling to taste and manually add in extra paint to areas as needed.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: skinnymike1

Make 4 layers of the lineart, which is the desired colour. Then move each in a different direction, up, down, right, left. Use the nudge tool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report