Announcements
The Simulation Mechanical Idea Board has been closed down and placed in read-only mode following a recent discontinuation announcement. Please see our supporting FAQ for more information.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective part meshing

Selective part meshing

To the best of my knowledge, and I've done a lot of asking and searching, it's currently not possible to only calculate the mesh for one or more specifically selected parts. If I generate the mesh for my model, then decide to change the mesh settings for a single part, SimMech currently has to re-mesh the ENTIER MODEL just to create the new mesh for one single part! This is completely unnecessary and time-consuming. Please allow me to select specific parts and only mesh or re-mesh those specific parts.

5 Comments
Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager

this was implemented in the 2015 R1 release

please watch the attached video for details. the meshing improvements are covered after Minute 9:25

http://simhub.autodesk.com/tv/sim-mech-2015-r1-whats-new

-Sualp

DRoam
Mentor

That's great to know what selective part meshing is available--but the video doesn't say anything bout how to do so.

Can you tell me:

1. How to do selective part re-meshing?

2. How to enable the "Smart Bonding" feature that he mentioned?

Thank you!

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager
Here is an example:

1) Open an assembly of 5 parts

2) Mesh the assembly

Let's say at this point, you need to re-mesh part 4.

3) Select part 4, right click , "suppress unselected"

4) Generate 3D Mesh (this will mesh ONLY part 4)

5) Select the Parts heading in the tree, right click , "Unsuppress all"

Now it's time to enable smart bonding

6) In the ribbon , go to the setup tab, click on "Parameters" button in the Model setup panel

7) Click on the "Contact" tab

8) Turn on the option for smart bonding by selecting either "coarse bonded to fine mesh" or " fine bonded to coarse mesh" based on your mesh sizing.

If you have more questions on this please reach out to tech support.

Best Regards
Sualp Ozel
DRoam
Mentor

Thanks very much, Salup, that's all I need.

Just a suggestion: This is useful functionality and it might be helpful if it were included in the Simulation Mechanical user's guide.

Regards

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

thank you for bringing this up.

we have documented this in the following YouTube video in a recent Webinar we captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-w_K4Wsrdg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report