Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model Issue, Bricks and Wedges Help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
493 Views, 4 Replies

Model Issue, Bricks and Wedges Help

Typically I try to model all my work as surfaces in Solidworks when i'm dealing with thin parts.  Its been working great for me the past few years.  I've experimented and researched for hours on Bricks and Wedges meshing.  Which seems likes the bees knees being able to define number of elements through thickness to get good bending results on complex geometry that a surface or midplane mesh would have issues with. 

Please see attached part and FEA file..  Let me know if anyone has a better way of doing this.  This model will have both a thermal analysis and piping loads.  I will be reivew the junction between the two pipes. 

Try 1.  Ran the model using bricks and tet mesh defining each individual parts absolute mesh size as 1/2 of the elements thickness (just for a starting point 1/3 would be better)  This takes a long time and I had random failures. 

Try 2.  Bricks and Wedges.  I set Bricks and wedges with 3 elements thru thickness FOR THE ENTIRE PART AND RAN IT AT MESH SIZE AUTOMATIC. This meshes fine, but when i run the analysis it just fails.  I also went back and turned on Smart Bonding. Still fails.  When I check the model it says.  Are there settings i'm missing to get bricks and wedges to work?

Please help asap see attached model.  I have Never been able to get a bricks and Wedges Model to work.  ( i'm now using Simulation 2015)  Let me know if theres a smarter way to analyze this geometry.  I modeled the fillet weld on the transition piece as a seperate body  as well(right now i have the fillet weld to mesh using Bricks and Tets, should it be brick and wedge too? Will the two elements bond together?.  Do i need to run my Bricks and wedges mesh

Thanks for any help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Trying to upload files is a nightmare to this site.  I constantly get the file contents doesnt match error i've tried step files .fem files iges. Why is this so complicated?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

still can upload any files.   It says The contents of this attachment doesnt match this file type????? tried sat, step, iges, sldprt.  only pictures?

Message 4 of 5
Sualp.Ozel

can you send me a step or a sat file

sualp.ozel@autodesk.com

Message 5 of 5
AstroJohnPE

Hi Thane,

I probably cannot help with the meshing (don't do enough of it myself), but I can help with the posting of your model. See the thread "Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report