Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to define transversely isotropic material in Simulation Mechanical?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
489 Views, 4 Replies

How to define transversely isotropic material in Simulation Mechanical?

For my undergraduate research work, I need transversely isotropic materials for some analysis. But I couldn't really find out from where to define this property in Simulation Mechanical 2017. I've searched a lot in the internet, but that didn't really help me a lot.

I'd be very glad if anyone had provided me with a walk through how to define transversely isotropic material in Simulation Mechanical.
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Are you performing a stress analysis? I believe transversely isotropic (T.I.) is a special case of anisotropic. So you can google how to calculate the T.I. properties for an anisotropic material, and use the anisotropic material model in Simulation Mechanical.

The material model is chosen from the Element Definition for the part. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

I'd be glad if anyone had walked me through it by a step-by-step example.
Message 4 of 5
AstroJohnPE

Hi @Anonymous

I googled "anisotropic stiffness matrix example". This document appears to give the information that you need to calculate the anisotropic material constants for a material that is transversely isotropic (as well as other formulations).

6.3 Anisotropic Elasticity

There are many materials which, although well modelled using the linear elastic model,

are not nearly isotropic. Examples are wood, composite materials and many biological

materials. The mechanical properties of these materials differ in different directions

Message 5 of 5
Keith.Orgeron
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

@AstroJohnPE, A very complete and concise reference for this rather common material type.  Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report