Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a point as a reference

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
601 Views, 2 Replies

Create a point as a reference

Hi,

I have a port in a vacuum vessel and I would like to know if it is possible to see how the axis of the port changes under vacuum.

It is possible to create a point in the FEA editor to use it as a reference later? and an axis?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

In order to calculate a displacement, you need to have a node which implies that you need an element. So you probably want to draw a line that represents the axis of the port, and then tie the axis to some of the nodes around the openings of the port. 

Conceptually, using the "Mesh > CAD Additions > Bolt" with a head diameter and nut diameter of 0 will draw a line along the centerline of the port and connect the ends of this "axis" to the nodes around the perimeter of the opening. (Depending on the geometry, you might need to use different commands like "Mesh > CAD Additions > Joint", drawing the axis manually and using "Draw > Design > Centroid Creator" to join the axis to the nodes around the port opening.)

You'll probably want to define these new elements as beam elements and enter small cross sectional properties so that the stiffness does not influence the flexibility of your model.

In the results, you'll be able to see how the axis moves (displacement), rotates, etc.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

Hi,

Thank you very much. It is what I need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report