Screencast Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Screencast Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Screencast topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Events Not Showing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
David_W_Koch
659 Views, 5 Replies

Keyboard Events Not Showing

Using the released version (not the pilot), I made a recording this morning.  In the final recording, keyboard events are not displayed on screen and the command scroll at the left side of the screen is stationary during the entire video.

The main commands were initiated through the ribbon, but there are ENTERs, ESCs and a few Ys that should have showed as keyboard input.  I really like that feature, as it makes it clear what keyboard input is being made.  Particularly when viewed as an embedded video in the Discussion Groups or in a blog, the Command: line text is too small to be read.

I have attached the keyboard_events.json file, which clearly has the input information.  The balance of the raw files are too large to zip up and post here.  If it matters, I cut portions of the original recording at the begining, in the middle (one section) and the end of the video.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Finally had time to post a blog article in which I embedded the above noted Screencast.  Curiously, the embedded version shows the keyboard input and also scrolls the command on the left side appropriately.  It is only on the Screencast site itself where viewing this Screencast  fails to play appropriately.

One thing I did not mention previously, but which I noticed tonight, is that on the website, there is no "play" icon in the middle of the playback area, just two half-cirular arrows spinning about their mutual centers.  I have to use the play arrow on the bar below the playback area to get the video to play, and that is when the keyboard input and command scrolling do not work.  I have tried it both logged into the Screencast site and logged out.  Could the Screencast not be fully processed?

I will be at AU next week, so I will not likely have time to look into this any further in the near future.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hi David

some remarks:

a) I can see the keyboard events (on the bottom) on the Screencast site, but not on your blog. The button "Show keyboard overlay" on the embed does nothing.

b) You know that there are two different "embed codes"?

c) I have the problem with the missing "play button" and "missing something" sometimes too. It seem to be a probelm of the website.

Message 4 of 6
aknchronicleqa
in reply to: Anonymous

Peter, thanks for your response on this. David, thank you for your feedback on Key board events.

I tried with all major browsers - IE, Chrome and Firefox and I was able to play David's screencast from the Screencast website and was able to see the keyboard events - Esc @1:00, Y and ESC @ 1:07 etc on the timeline. I was also able to see the command scroll from "Thumbnail Navigator" proplerly.

Have you used Firefox when you noticed this issue? There is a 'known issue' with Firefox where
the center "Play" icon, as well as "A" icon that is being displayed next to "Audio" icon on the timeline Navigator, doesn't show up on FireFox. However, when you click on it, it will play the video and displays the "A" icon.
Please try playing the screencast on Chrome and IE and let's know if you still see this issue.

Thanks

QA Lead - Screencast
Autodesk, Inc.
1 Market Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94105

Message 5 of 6

I was using Internet Explorer.  When I first posted this, I was using my home computer, which has IE 11.  Here at work, we have IE 9, and the Screencast worked correctly when I finally got back into the office (after attending AU).  I do not believe I have tried to look at the Screencast from my home computer since I got back.  I will try to remember to do so.

One other thing I have noticed.  On IE 9 at work, the embed in my blog does not run on the blog page.  Instead, clicking on it opens a new tab that goes to the Screencast page, where I can then view the video.  At home on IE 11, clicking on the embed on the blog page runs the video in place.  We also have Google Chrome at work, and the embed plays in place there, so I suppose that could be an issue with IE 9.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6

I have checked again at home, and the spinning arrows icon still shows for this Screencast, not the play button.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit, AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor 2.40 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, using this version of IE 11 at home:

Internet Explorer 11
Version:  11.0.9600.17501
Update Versions: 11.0.15 (KB3008923)

I do not have this problem with every Screencast that I have posted, but do see it in these:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/c5945e02-07a7-41c4-90c2-d06d5398643f

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/a7c5b349-2b02-42f6-ac7a-24f46d1b438b

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report