Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
gporrasm
425 Views, 3 Replies

Wind Simulation

Hello. I was doing this exercise, please see attached file. After doing wind simulation, the results for this open structure are very different from the values I would calculate using the local code, which is quite similar to ASCE 7-05. Obviously codes present a simplified version of the real cases. In other studies I've reviewed, results use to be close, or in cases conservative compared to codes. In this case results have differences of about 100%, I mean I calculate 60 kg/m2 of pressure usen codes, and Robot calculates 30kg/m2. I would appreciate too much if someone more familiar with wind calculations and use of the wind simulation of Robot could check this model and let me know if I am doing a mistake, or maybe give me a feed back of how interpret the results that I am obtaining.

Thank you very much in advance.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
EduardoMeruvia
in reply to: gporrasm

Hi @gporrasm

As you mentioned, Robots wind load simulation is NOT a code base tool but rather a CFD type. 

See the discussion threads below for reference, I think it should answer most/all your questions.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/robot-2022-wind-loads-higher-than-asc... 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/wind-load-simulations-results-are-inc... 

Message 3 of 4
gporrasm
in reply to: EduardoMeruvia

Thank you Eduardo. CFD seems to generate wind loads seems to be a very expensive tool. I really like the way Tekla Structural Designer works with wind loads. This is an improvement that Robot could work on instead of the wind tunnel simulation. If I see from a general perspective a wind tunnel simulation in a general structural design software is like out of place, in spite is very nice to see the simulation. But actually is like David Copperfield doing some magic tricks. How the simulator works is totally out of visibility, so needs to be calibrated with care.....and the final question could be: Do I really trust on this output for design purposes?

Message 4 of 4
EduardoMeruvia
in reply to: gporrasm

The simple answer to your final question is, the CFD in robot is just that, a "simple tool" to help assist with your designs. It is not aimed nor should it be used as a final design component (i.e. run wind simulation and be done with it), for such instances you have your own country codes and local guidelines that normally by law should be used, unless actual real testing (real wind tunnels) is being developed, validated and used.

Personally, I use the wind simulation in Robot when trying to understand windward/leeward wind behaviour in complex geometry.  Typically geometry that might not be well covered in my local country code. However, even in those cases, Robot wind simulation is just used as a help tool to understand the pressure distributions from a CFD results output perspective. All final design wind forces are still done to local country codes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report