Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visually Rotated Bars, gamma angle = 0

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
727 Views, 7 Replies

Visually Rotated Bars, gamma angle = 0

A colleague set out a simple structure with any bar section gamma angles set to zero. Some of the columns seem to have defined a local bar definition differently to other columns of the same type, and as such appear to have a gamma angle applied.  This is as in the attached image, with several different versions of local axis as well.  Trying to change the bar in the geometry>properties>local bar direction seems to work some of the time.  I would like to know if others have come across this, why it happened in the first place and if there is a way to prevent it?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

At the first glance it looks like that have their local Z axes pointing at the indicated node or object. Could you attach the model (or just the part visible on the picture you attached) and specify bar numbers to look at?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hiya, so I have attached a cut down version of the model.  It is bars 6 10 11 14 16to18  that have the differing local directions.  Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

It seems that for some reason the model wasn't attached. try to zip it first and if this doesn't work try to use another internet browser.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 8

HI @Anonymous

Disregard the previous post please. I managed to look at yours in the gap between the text was visible and the file was uploaded. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Anonymous

They are rotated due to the fact that their top and bottom nodes have got different X and Y coordinates (visible when you increase  structure dimensions precision in Job Preferences). Try to define structural axes following the lines of the columns in X and Y direction and introduce one at any Z level and then use the Detailed Correction option with adjustment to the structural axes with e.g. 1 cm precision. 

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

okay problem solved - it seems that for the columns with different directions they aren't perfectly vertical!  

Thank you for looking into it!

Message 8 of 8

Good morning all, 

regarding the rotated bars...what if i want really to have bars with different x,y but keep my section at gamma angle zero?

regards 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report