Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stresses in Orthotropic Panels

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1117 Views, 9 Replies

Stresses in Orthotropic Panels

I have defined an othotropic panel as a trapezoidal panel. When I apply loads to the panel, the deflection values seem reasonable, but the stresses shown in the stress maps are much higher than they should be. These values were compared with hand-calculations for the panel section, and a bar element defined in robot to represent one of the trapezoidal sections.

How does Robot evaluate stresses (particularly bending) in orthotropic panels? Does it account for the additional section modulus from the corrugations?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

The stress is calculated as for a panel with uniform 'equivalent' thickness. If you need the exact stress distribution you may consider modelling its real shape instead.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski

Dealing with a very delicate and thin concrete orthotropic shell , I wanted to know the acting stresses. This below is the orthotropic thickness togeher with the main orthotropy direction  section (32cm width) calculated in Section definition module .

Section modules.jpg

ortho thickness.jpg

Then I created an experiment model with a 5mx1m cantilever slab with a 10Kn.m distributed moment applied on farthest edge. Figure below shows the map stress calculated by Robot and the real stresses due to moment calculated manually.

real stresses.jpg

As all stress calculations are done considering the equivalent thickness for the plate self weight , results are obviously very wrong even for normal forces ,as orthotropic directions have not the same geometry.

I wonder why Robot even shows the stress results for orthotropic panels if "he" knows that the results are wrong???? And (again) without any warning!!!

Of course ,everything has to be checked manually as I did right now ,but how hard can it be for RSA to give the correct results for stresses on orthotropic panels???

Rafael Medeiros
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10

Hi @Rafacascudo

I wonder why Robot even shows the stress results for orthotropic panels if "he" knows that the results are wrong???? And (again) without any warning!!!

Let me start with the statement that I'm not the person who made the decision if it should be or should not be displayed but again this is not that (as almost always) black and white. Imagine that your panel is not a slab with ribs but it is a flat one with the reduction of the stiffness for one of directions - would you like to see the stresses? Or you have just small openings in its cross section?

Of course there might have been as you wrote a warning (I agree on that  till the moment you start complain that you already know when it is displayed each time you show this type of results Smiley Wink)  but I'd say by the principle of the definition of such thickness where you don't have the determined positions of the 'beams' in the panel you IMHO may assume that we are having 'just equivalent' properties rather than exact definition of the ribbed slab with the additional option for seeing bending moments for each of the T beams and design its reinforcement Smiley Happy

If one or more of these posts answered your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10

Hi @Artur.Kosakowski ,

Sorry for the delay , but I still think that a structural software could never provide wrong results knowing they are wrong. Or it shows nothing for certain cases like my example or show the correct  values for upper and lower stresses. Nothing is said on manual and if it wasn´t this thread it would remain unknown.

As I said in another thread I am experimenting with other structural software packages and in those  few that have specific orthotropy types  like those in Robot , I modelled the same cantiliver orthotropic slab.

In 2 of them with plenty orthotropy types like in Robot they address the issue.

The 1st chooses to not show results for orthotropic panels

dlubal rfem ortho stresses.jpg

The 2nd , does it right and provide upper and lower stresses with the same values I calculated manually in a picture on my previous post.

manual real stresses.jpgMidas - tensão supferior.jpgMidas - tensão inferior.jpg

I think Robot should go with one of these 2 options. Or gives nothing , or gives max and min values stresses that the panel can have regardless if there is a rib on that exact point or not. It would be already a very good point to start the design.

But ,again , I insist that it should never provide wrong results being aware of that mistake!!!!!

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10

Hi @Rafacascudo

I do understand your point. Is there any technical documentation which describes the way they post -process the results for stresses?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10

hi @Artur.Kosakowski

Sorry Artur , Not that I could find . But in this case of mine , I cannot see the dificulty on calculating the right stresses for a T section.

What exactly are you looking for??

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

Hi @Rafacascudo

Not knowing the locations of 'webs' and not having 'uniform' bending and axial force distribution across the panel how would you determine stress in given location? I assume one could 'extract' such panel 'outside' the program and 'tell' where they are to obtain the correct values of stresses based on maps of bending moments and in-plane forces but that would require additional 'side' application (or result post-processor if you prefer to call it this way) which doesn't exist in Robot.

Perhaps there is some other option that I'm not able to thibnnk of at the moment too.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10

@Artur.Kosakowski

Giving correct max and min stresses for each finite element ,don´t bothering with orthotropy layout(ribs), it would already be good enough, .

But if dev team wants to go further , then they can develop a more detailed "arbitrary" layer on "parameters" tab so the user can know the stress value exactly where he wants/needs , according to his ribs layout.

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 10 of 10

Hi @Rafacascudo

Thank you for your suggestion. I have forwarded them to the development team.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report