Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soil structure interaction - soil continuum analysis

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
md01134
568 Views, 2 Replies

Soil structure interaction - soil continuum analysis

Has anyone ever modeled a soil - structure interaction like attached photo?

Beam is 1m wide, 10m long and 350mm deep. Soil has a varying value of E according to the equation 12.35+3.75z.

Also, if the thickness of the beam is 1 metre, should I also make the soil the same or even larger eg 5m?

Is it possible to put supports between the beam and soil, so that the beam is allowed to lift off the ground due to an applied load?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Michael.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
EduardoMeruvia
in reply to: md01134

Hi @md01134 , 

Robot might not be the tool for modelling the soil-structure interaction that you seem to be after. Shells elements are only capable of Linear elastic analysis and would not be able to give you the complex soil behavior that would realistically happen.  

Saying that if you are just after a "estimate" of the soil behavior on the assumption of perfectly elastic behavior then your current approach is reasonable. I would just add "dummy" compression only beam supports under your beam shell to allow for uplift.  

If you are not interested on the soils itself, then you could simply use Robot's elastic springs supports to simulate a soil support condition without needing to model any "soil". 

Message 3 of 3
md01134
in reply to: md01134

Hi @EduardoMeruvia ,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'll give the dummy supports a go and see what kind of results I'm getting.

Regards,

Michael.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report