Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seismic analysis - results / combinations

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
micp_rsa
570 Views, 8 Replies

Seismic analysis - results / combinations

Hello,

I think I need a bit of explanation for the seismic analysis principals in Robot.

OK, what’s the issue:

2D Steel frame. Very simple.
Firtstly I run modal analysis. Got whay I have expected.
Than I go for Seismic case with Newmark comb CQC (+ proper combination sign).
Now I read results ie. bending moments for each CQC combination.
Should I get results of moments from earthquake acting in +X direction and acting in -X direction? Results from cqc combination looks like earthquake acted only in one direction – towards X+.

Basically, based on modal shapes structure was deforming (sway deformation) the same to the right +X and the same to the left -X. So my understanding  is seismic should act in a similar way, giving utilization once in X+ and X- dir

I do not know if my understanding of a problem is right…. What you think of it?

2021-12-22 131000.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik
in reply to: micp_rsa

Hi @micp_rsa 

Opposite seismic action direction should be considered by seismic combination definition. It can be done manualy (+ and - sign defined in manual combination including seismic cases), or it can be done automatically in Automatic combination module when Seismic Accidental combinations are chosen. Then combination module uses + and - for seismic cases in generated seismic combinations.

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 9
micp_rsa
in reply to: Krzysztof_Wasik

Thank you @Krzysztof_Wasik 

I should have gone one step ahead to see that RSA cobines load with "+" and "-" sign automatically. Thought I need to have all simple cases as for example like wind.

One more question. I want to prepare automatic combinations.

I turned off case 4 and 5 to get involved only seismic cases 6to9. Is is the right approach?

Still have 4 and 5 in com list...

snip.JPG

Message 4 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @micp_rsa 

It is correct, cases 4 and 5 are components of combinations 6 to 9. Robot presents components of seismic combinations in Definition column. Generates combinations represent cases 6 to 9 multiplied by "1" or " -1" combined with cases 1 and 2

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 5 of 9
Simau

@micp_rsa 

1)I turned off case 4 and 5 to get involved only seismic cases 6to9. Is is the right approach?

Yes

2)

Still have 4 and 5 in com list...

Yes they they still appearin the list, just don't select them to create the groupe

Message 6 of 9
micp_rsa
in reply to: Simau

thanks @Simau and @Krzysztof_Wasik 

So basically I will not see cases 6to9 in the definition of Seismic automatic combination table, despite I have them checkboxed in automatic combination defnition as a cases?

They will allway be represented by simple cases 4 and 5. Is it right?  Please see screen below.

no title.png 

Message 7 of 9
Krzysztof_Wasik

Hi @micp_rsa 

Yes you are right

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 8 of 9
micp_rsa

Thank you!

Message 9 of 9

Hi @Krzysztof_Wasik

When we perform a spectral analysis Robot has the possibility of specify the acidental eccentricity. In a seismic analysis, in some codes too. But on other codes like NP EN 1998-1:2013 (Portugal EC8) Robot simply doesn't have that option. Do you have any idea why and how to solve it?

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report