Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSA Steel Design BS EN 1993-1-1 Mz not being considered in stability check

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
richard_russell
189 Views, 4 Replies

RSA Steel Design BS EN 1993-1-1 Mz not being considered in stability check

Dear RSA team,

I'm having difficult with the steel design module within RSA.  I have two identical member with very similar internal forces (members 9 & 34), when I carry out the steel design with my own calculated Mcr value one of the members (9) includes the Mz value for the load combination (combination 56) and the other member doesn't (34).  I only picked this up as member 9 was failing but could see adjacent similar members were not.  In my opinion member 9 is correct, I have created a member type (406UB) assigned to all the same members.  

Furthermore, I've tried to exlude negative (hogging) moments from the design using the 'exclude internal forces from calculation' option within the configuration but no matter what stress type of combination I use min/max +/- values it doesnt exclude anything.  I have read the help sections on this but can't get it to work, my stress for these members are all under 300Mpa.

I have attached the substructure model for the area in question and left the view point open at the location of the issues.  Could you please advise what may be happening?

Thanks 

Richard

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Posted without model attached as I was unable to add the model dye to 'file extension not matching' please let me know how I should upload the model to you.  Thanks

Message 3 of 5
Simau
in reply to: richard_russell

@richard_russell 

Zip it before

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5

Thanks! Also, I think I'm getting the difference because member 34 has a tiny amount of tension, I'm not aware that this tension would negate the need for a biaxial check?

Message 5 of 5
Simau
in reply to: richard_russell

Hi @richard_russell 

According to what i understood with your substructure, i should assign this member type to these beams:

Simau_0-1723651011482.jpeg

It's better if you split member 9 and 34 in 2 parts and design them again with a specific member type

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report